White House opposes Nazi benefit payments

2014-10-21 14:42
Jakob Denzinger looks from his apartment window in Osijek, eastern Croatia. (Darko Bandic, AP)

Jakob Denzinger looks from his apartment window in Osijek, eastern Croatia. (Darko Bandic, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Washington - Former Nazis should not be getting the social security benefits they are receiving as they age overseas, the White House said on Monday, responding to an Associated Press investigation that revealed millions of dollars have been paid to war-crimes suspects and former SS guards who left the US for Europe.

"Our position is we don't believe these individuals should be getting these benefits", said spokesperson Eric Shultz when asked about the situation.

He said the justice department has said it has "aggressively pursued Nazi war criminals and brought over 100 of them to justice". He added that the department and the social security administration "work together within the confines of current law to cut off benefits for criminals that shouldn't be receiving them".

AP reported on Sunday that dozens of Nazi suspects have collected benefits after being forced out of the United States. Though their World War II actions led to their departure, they were not convicted of war crimes.

The payments flowed through a legal loophole that gave the justice department leverage to persuade Nazi suspects to leave the US. If they agreed to go, or simply fled before deportation, they could keep their social security, according to interviews and internal US government records.

Several efforts to change the law to cut off payments to the few aged former Nazis have failed.

Separately, a senior house democrat demanded on Monday that the Obama administration investigate the payments over the years.

Representative Carolyn Maloney of New York requested the inquiry in letters to the inspectors general at the justice department and social security. Maloney, a high-ranking member of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, called the payments a "gross misuse of taxpayer dollars".

The justice department said it was reviewing Maloney's letter. The social security administration did not immediately respond to a request for comment.


The social security administration has refused AP's request that it provide the total number of Nazi suspects who received benefits and the dollar amounts. Spokesperson William "BJ" Jarrett said the agency does not track data specific to Nazi cases.

AP last week appealed the agency's denial of the information through the Freedom of Information Act.

The appeal also cited several concerns about the social security administration's handling of the FOIA request, including the agency's alteration of the request "in a manner serving both to undercut AP's inquiry while simultaneously sparing the SSA from having to disclose potentially embarrassing information", the 16 October appeal said.

Among those receiving social security benefits were SS troops who guarded the network of Nazi camps where millions of Jews perished, a rocket scientist accused of using slave labourers to advance his research in the Third Reich and a Nazi collaborator who engineered the arrest and execution of thousands of Jews in Poland.

There are at least four living beneficiaries. They include Martin Hartmann, a former SS guard at the Sachsenhausen camp in Germany, and Jakob Denzinger, who patrolled the grounds at the Auschwitz camp complex in Poland.

Hartmann moved to Berlin in 2007 from Arizona just before being stripped of his US citizenship. Denzinger fled to Germany from Ohio in 1989 after learning denaturalisation proceedings against him were underway.

He soon resettled in Croatia and now lives in a spacious apartment on the right bank of the Drava River in Osijek.

Denzinger would not discuss his situation when questioned by an AP reporter; Denzinger's son, who lives in the US, confirmed his father receives Social Security payments and said he deserved them.

Because Nazi war crimes were committed outside the US and almost always against non-Americans, Nazi suspects could not be tried in US courts. The only other legal option was to prove they lied to immigration authorities about what they did during the war, and then to attempt either deportation or extradition.

The deals that were reached instead allowed the justice department's former Nazi-hunting unit, the office of special investigations, to skirt lengthy deportation hearings and increase the number of Nazis it expelled from the US.

But internal US government records obtained by the AP reveal heated objections from the state department to OSI's practices. Social Security benefits became tools, US diplomatic officials said, to secure agreements in which Nazi suspects would accept the loss of citizenship and voluntarily leave the United States.

In her letters objecting to the process, Maloney said, "An inspector general investigation into this matter will make transparent the total amount paid and number of Nazi war criminals who received or continue to receive Social Security benefits."


Since 1979, the AP analysis found, at least 38 of 66 suspects removed from the country kept their social security benefits.

The social security administration itself expressed outrage in 1997 over the use of benefits, the documents show, and blowback in foreign capitals reverberated at the highest levels of government.

Austrian authorities were furious upon learning after the fact about a deal made with Martin Bartesch, a former SS guard at the Mauthausen concentration camp in Austria. In 1987, Bartesch landed, unannounced, at the airport in Vienna. Two days later, under the terms of the deal, his US citizenship was revoked.

"It was not upfront, it was not transparent, it was not a legitimate process", said James Hergen, an assistant legal adviser at the state department from 1982 until 2007. "This was not the way America should behave. We should not be dumping our refuse, for lack of a better word, on friendly states." Bartesch continued to receive social security benefits until he died in 1989.

Neal Sher, a former OSI director, said the state department cared more about diplomatic niceties than holding former members of Adolf Hitler's war machine accountable.

In the midst of the objections, the "Nazi dumping" stopped. But the benefits loophole wasn't closed.

Read more on:    us  |  nazis

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.