Yemen vote 'unlikely to end drone strikes'

2013-12-17 08:43
(Picture: AFP)

(Picture: AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Sana'a - Yemen's parliament has voted for a ban on drone strikes, but experts said on Monday lawmakers have limited powers and their vote is unlikely to impact Washington's bid to crush al-Qaeda militants.

The United States operates all unmanned aircraft flying over Yemen in support of Sanaa's attempts to break al-Qaeda, and intensified strikes this year have killed dozens of militants.

Yemen is home to al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), which Washington views as the deadliest franchise of the global jihadist network.

Critics say drone strikes kill civilians and have demanded an end to the secrecy surrounding them.

Yemen's parliament, which is dominated by the party of ousted president Ali Abdullah Saleh and the Islamist Islah party, voted on Sunday in favour of halting drone attacks.

A challenge to the president

MPs say the vote is a recommendation short of adopting a law, which came days after a drone strike reportedly targeting al-Qaeda militants killed 17 people, mostly civilians, triggering outrage.

"The parliament appears to be giving orders to authorities, when it has lost its credibility long time ago," said political analyst Abdelbari Tahar.

A Yemeni political official speaking on condition of anonymity said the vote is a "challenge" to interim President Abdrabuh Mansur Hadi who took over when Saleh agreed to step down in 2012 after a year of protests against his 33-year rule.

"This vote appears to be an attempt by the followers of the former president to put pressure on Hadi, more than it is a real legislative action," the official said.

"It is a kind of challenge to Hadi," who has cemented Sana'a's partnership with Washington in the fight against al-Qaeda.

"The government could ignore this vote without any consequences to worry about," said the official.

The current assembly was elected in 2003 when Saleh was in power and its five-year tenure was extended by two years in a political compromise. It has not been renewed since then.

'Protecting citizens'

Saleh has been accused of trying to hinder the political transition process, which began with him quitting in February 2012, following massive protests against his rule.
Sovereign air space

At Sunday's parliamentary session, lawmakers stressed "the importance of protecting all citizens from any aggression" and "the importance of preserving the sovereignty of Yemeni air space".

MP Ali al-Mamari said the motion was a "request to the government", insisting it was not a law banning drone use.

He said parliament has also demanded the government address parliament "to explain whether or not it can implement this (ban on drones)".

On Thursday a drone attack in Rada in the central province of Bayda hit a wedding motorcade, killing 17 people, mostly civilians, and triggering protests by tribesmen in the lawless area.

The Supreme Security Committee, headed by Hadi, insisted that the strike had targeted the car of an al-Qaeda leader.

Confusion

And a US official also denied that a wedding convoy had been struck.

"The target was an AQAP convoy and that's what was hit. No wedding party was hit," the US counter-terrorism official told AFP, asking not to be named.

Amnesty International said confusion over who was behind the raid "exposes a serious lack of accountability for scores of civilian deaths in the country".

"Even if it turns out that this was a case of killing based on mistaken identity or dodgy intelligence, whoever was responsible needs to own up to the error and come clean about what happened in this incident," said Amnesty's Philip Luther.

Civilians killed

Two of the dead whose names were released - Saleh al-Tays and Abdullah al-Tays - had figured on Yemeni government lists of wanted al-Qaeda suspects in the past.

But most of those killed were civilians of the Al-Tays and Al-Ameri clans - part of the large and heavily armed Qayfah tribe.

A report by Human Rights Watch in October said the US has carried out 80 targeted operations in Yemen since 2009, including strikes from drones, warplanes and cruise missiles, killing at least 473 people.

The US says drone attacks are an important and effective tool against jihadists from the AQAP.

Read more on:    us  |  yemen

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.