Australia teen charged with terror offences

2016-06-15 16:21


Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Sydney - A teenager was on Wednesday charged in Australia with preparing for or planning a terrorist attack after authorities were alerted by social media posts.

The 17-year-old boy was detained at his home in Sydney's south late on Tuesday, the latest in a string of arrests by police investigating people suspected of being involved in domestic acts of terrorism.

"After being alerted to a number of social media posts, police arrested the youth at his home," the New South Wales state police said.

"He's been charged with one count of acts in preparation for, or planning, a terrorist act... He was also charged with using a telecommunications network with intention to commit a serious offence."

The youth was refused bail and is due to appear in a children's court later on Wednesday.

Government crack down

Police stressed there was no threat to the community, with his detention unrelated to any previous investigation carried out by counter-terrorism teams.

His arrest came as the government announced extra funding for crime-fighting intelligence and surveillance.

It included a Aus$1.6 million cash injection to enable better monitoring of social media platforms to reveal threats and thwart radicalisation and recruitment drives.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull warned terrorism was "a serious, ever-present threat".

"Having said that, we have strong, I believe the best security and intelligence services, we provide them with every support," he added.

"It is at the very forefront of everything my government does to keep Australians safe."

A handful of terror-related attacks have been foiled on home soil over the past 18 months, authorities have said, but several have taken place, including the murder of a Sydney police employee in October.

Counter-terror police have made a series of arrests since late 2014, including a 16-year-old boy charged with preparing an attack linked to Anzac Day services honouring Australian soldiers in Sydney in April.

Other arrests saw a 17-year-old boy picked up in a raid in Melbourne a year ago, allegedly with "improvised explosive devices" in his family home.

More recently, a Sydney-based man was charged last month with planning a terrorist attack, which reportedly involved targeting a naval base close to the city's landmark opera house.

The government has become increasingly concerned about homegrown extremism and the terror threat level was raised to high in September 2014.

Australia is also worried about its citizens fighting with jihadist organisations such as Islamic State in Iraq and Syria and helping radicalise others, with at least 110 citizens having left to join such groups.

Read more on:    australia  |  security

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.