Australian government defends plan to take 12 000 Syrian refugees

2015-11-23 10:28
(Atilla Kisbenedek, AFP)

(Atilla Kisbenedek, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Sydney - Australia is sticking to its plan to take 12 000 Syrian refugees, the government said Monday, despite pressure to abandon it from the ruling party's own right wing.

Justice Minister Michael Keenan, who is responsible for counter-terror policy, said there were comprehensive checks in place against terrorists posing as refugees.

"Taking 12 000 people from Syria was the right thing to do several months ago and it's still the right thing to do today," Keenan said on Sky TV.

"We're doing everything we can to give an appropriate and proper risk assessment and make sure that nobody who is coming in would be of a security concern to our country."

Earlier on Monday, Senator Cory Bernardi, an arch-conservative from South Australia who wants the burqa banned in public places, said on ABC TV that terrorists could try and enter Australia pretending to be refugees.

"We have extremist elements at work in this country. Why would we risk bringing in more to add to their ranks, even potentially, and bear the financial and social burden that comes with that?" Bernardi said.

The first five refugees from the special intake arrived in Perth last week and more are expected to arrive on east coast states before Christmas. The bulk will arrive in 2016, Keenan said.

The 12 000 from Syria would be on top of Australia's intake of nearly 14 000 refugees, ABC reported.

Meanwhile police said on Monday they are watching 12 men and boys living in the community who were deemed capable of committing an act of terror such as killing a random member of the public.

Another seven are being held in prison, part of a group of 30 people who have faced terror-related charges.

Federal Police chief Neil Gaughan told ABC TV the dozen people who are free have been under surveillance for more than a year.

"I think there can be no doubt that there's a small group in Sydney that are engaged in activity which wants to upset the Australian way of life," Gaughan said.

Read more on:    syria  |  australia  |  migrants

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.