Azerbaijan announces 'unilateral' ceasefire

2016-04-03 20:01
Armenia and Azerbaijan flags. (iStock)

Armenia and Azerbaijan flags. (iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Baku - Azerbaijan on Sunday announced a unilateral ceasefire following fierce clashes with Armenian forces in the disputed region of Nagorny Karabakh, but threatened to strike back if its forces came under attack.

"Azerbaijan, showing good will, has decided to unilaterally cease hostilities", Azerbaijan's defense ministry said in a statement, warning that it would "liberate all [Armenian-] occupied territories" if Armenian forces "do not stop provocations."

But the spokesperson of the Armenia-backed separatist presidency in Karabakh, David Babayan, told AFP that fighting has never been halted along the frontline.

"Fiece fighting is under way on southestern and northeastern sectors of the Karabakh frontline," he said.

Earlier on Sunday, Karabakh forces claimed they took back strategic Lala-Tepe height in Karabakh which was captued by Azeri troops on Saturday.

Baku denied the report, saying that the height remained under its control and that rebel troops sustained "serios manpowewr losses."

On Satrurday, fierce clashes left at least 18 Armenian and 12 Azerbaijani soldiers dead and reportedly claimed the lives of two civilians after both sides accused each other of attacking with heavy weaponry across the volatile frontline.

Both Russia and the West appealed to all sides to show restraint.

Ethnic Armenian separatists backed by Yerevan seized control of the mountainous Nagorny Karabakh region in an early 1990s war that claimed some 30 000 lives and the foes have never signed a peace deal despite the 1994 ceasefire.

The region is still internationally recognised as part of Azerbaijan and the two sides frequently exchange fire, but the latest episode marked a surge in violence and sparked frantic appeals for peace from international powers.

Energy-rich Azerbaijan, whose military spending has in the past exceeded Armenia's entire state budget, has repeatedly threatened to take back the breakaway region by force if negotiations fail to yield results.

Moscow-backed Armenia says it could crush any offensive.

Read more on:    armenia  |  azerbaijan

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.