Belgian nuclear official seen in Paris attacks probe

2016-02-17 22:52
The Eiffel Tower illuminated with the colours of the French national flag in tribute to the victims of November 13 Paris terror attacks which killed at least 129 people. (Eric Feferburg, AFP)

The Eiffel Tower illuminated with the colours of the French national flag in tribute to the victims of November 13 Paris terror attacks which killed at least 129 people. (Eric Feferburg, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Brussels - Investigators probing last year's deadly jihadist attacks in Paris have found video footage of a senior Belgian nuclear official, the federal prosecutor said on Wednesday.

The Belgian prosecutor confirmed the existence of "images mentioned by the press this morning regarding a person linked to the nuclear industry," in reference to a report in the daily La Derniere Heure.

The footage was discovered "as part of seizures made following the Paris attacks," the prosecutor added, refusing to divulge the individual's identity "for obvious security reasons".

France has been under a state of emergency since jihadist gunmen attacked several sites in Paris on November 13, killing 130 people and leaving 350 wounded.

Since mid-November, 11 people have been arrested and charged in Belgium in connection with the killings. Key suspect Salah Abdeslam and his associate Mohamed Abrini, both from the Molenbeek area of Brussels, are still at large.

Belgian officials did not wish to give any details about how the video footage of the nuclear official had come to light.

According to the Derniere Heure, the man who was "spied on" was director of Belgium's nuclear research and development programme.

The 10-hour long video footage showed the front door of a home in the Flanders region, the paper added.

Belgium's federal agency for nuclear control said it was aware of the interest in the story but stressed the importance of not revealing the name of the person or the property involved so as "not to endanger the enquiry or nuclear security" or indeed the person involved and their family.

The images were captured by a camera hidden in nearby bushes and recovered by two suspects who left the area in a vehicle with the lights off, the newspaper report said.

It was discovered by investigators during one of the numerous searches carried out in Belgium since the Paris attacks.

The paper said it was not possible to date the seized video, and therefore to know whether it was taken before or after the November attacks.

Eight of the 11 suspects arrested in Belgium are still being held.

Read more on:    belgium  |  paris attacks

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.