Belgium defiant two months after ISIS attacks

2016-05-22 18:02
Belgian PM Charles Michel speaks at a royal remembrance service for the victims of the Brussels attacks. (Stephanie Lecocq, AFP)

Belgian PM Charles Michel speaks at a royal remembrance service for the victims of the Brussels attacks. (Stephanie Lecocq, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Brussels - Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel vowed on Sunday that the West will ultimately defeat Islamic State group "terrorists", as the royal family hosted a ceremony marking two months since the deadly Brussels bombings.

King Philippe, speaking to an audience of 500 at the royal palace in Brussels, thanked the doctors, police and other emergency services who helped on March 22, when 32 people were killed at Zaventem Airport and the Maalbeek metro station.

"If we are here in the palace, it is to express the support and gratitude of all the Belgian people," said the monarch, who with his wife Queen Mathilde visited the injured in hospital the day after the attacks.

Prime Minister Michel vowed that Belgium and other countries fighting ISIS - which claimed the Brussels bombings as well as last November's attacks in Paris - will eventually prevail.

"This is not a war between the West and Islam. And we will do everything to stop these terrorists. This is a difficult fight. A fight that will take time," he said.

"We will know setbacks and successes. But I am confident that we will win."

It was the first time the entire royal family - including Philippe's parents Albert II and Paola, his sister Astrid, brother Laurent and their partners - had hosted such a ceremony.

Thirty-two white roses were placed in front of a stage to commemorate those who died.

"Where blind violence strikes our world, a new sense of fraternity is coming together," said Kristin Verellen, whose 58-year-old husband, Johan Van Steen, a senior civil servant, died at Maalbeek station.

"There is no point in responding to hatred with hatred ... us against them, that would only increase the atrocity."

Earlier this month, the Belgian government said it would extend its F-16 air strikes against ISIS positions in Iraq into Syria.

But top Belgian officials have been accused of ignoring EU reports of security failings ahead of the attacks.

Critics also say the authorities have not done enough to prevent home-grown extremism, with Belgium proportionately the biggest source in Europe of foreign fighters travelling to Syria to join ISIS.

Read more on:    isis  |  belgium  |  brussels attacks

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/Sport

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.