Belgium finds elusive 'man in the hat' from airport video

2016-04-09 21:00
Security footage of the third suspect from the Brussels airport attack on March 22. (Belgian Federal Police, AFP)

Security footage of the third suspect from the Brussels airport attack on March 22. (Belgian Federal Police, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Brussels - After nearly three weeks of frantic searching, Belgian authorities announced on Saturday they had finally arrested and identified the elusive "man in the hat" spotted alongside two suicide bombers who blew themselves up at Brussels Airport on March 22.

In a terse evening statement, the Federal Prosecution Office said recently arrested terror suspect Mohamed Abrini had confessed to being the vest- and hat-wearing man whose video image had been widely circulated by authorities.

"After being confronted with the results of the different expert examinations, he confessed his presence at the crime scene," the statement said.

Abrini was one of four suspects charged Saturday with "participating in terrorist acts" linked to the deadly Brussels suicide bombings that killed 32 people and wounded 270 others at the airport and at the city's Maelbeek subway station.

The prosecutors' office said Abrini threw away his vest in a garbage bin and sold his hat after the bombings. He had been arrested Friday in a Brussels police raid.

Prosecutors did not respond to calls. A legal representative for Abrini could not be immediately located for comment Saturday night.

Abrini, a 31-year-old Belgian-Moroccan petty criminal, had been suspected of being involved in the Paris and Brussels attacks but his precise role had, until now, never been made explicit. Abrini was also believed to have travelled to Syria, where his younger brother died in 2014 in the Islamic State's Francophone brigade.

Abrini and three others — identified as Osama Krayem, Herve BM and Bilal EM — were all charged Saturday with participating in "terrorist murders" and the "activities of a terrorist group" in relation to the attacks, prosecutors said in an earlier statement. Two other suspects arrested in the last couple of days were released "after a thorough interrogation," it said.

The developments follow days of arrests and raids in the Belgian capital and could give investigators new insights into the Islamic State group cell believed to have carried out both the attacks in Brussels and the November 13 attacks in Paris, which left 130 dead in the French capital.

Osama Krayem, identified by prosecutors only as Osama K, is known to have left the Swedish city of Malmo to fight in Syria. The prosecutor's office accuses him of being the second person at the attack on the Brussels subway station and of being at a shopping mall where the luggage used in the airport bombings was purchased.

Swedish officials had no immediate comment on Krayem.

The prosecutors" statement described Herve BM as a Rwandan citizen arrested at the same time as Krayem who is accused of offering assistance to both Abrini and Krayem.

Krayem had earlier been identified posting photos from Syria on social media, according to Magnus Ranstorp, a counterterrorism expert at the Swedish National Defense College.

"He also tried to recruit people in Malmo," Ranstorp told The Associated Press.

The attacks in France and Belgium were the two biggest carried out by ISIS in Europe over the past year. The arrests may help investigators unravel the links between the attacks and ISIS, the radical Muslim group that controls territory in both Iraq and Syria.

The detentions were a rare success for Belgian authorities, who have been pilloried for mishandling leads in the bombings investigation. But despite multiple arrests, Brussels remains under the second-highest terror alert, meaning an attack is still considered likely.

"There are perhaps other cells that are still active on our territory," Belgian Interior Minister Jan Jambon told RTL television on Saturday.

Read more on:    isis  |  belgium  |  brussels attacks

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.