Body of murdered Italian student arrives home

2016-02-06 20:24
An image posted online after Giulio Regeni disappeared. (AP)

An image posted online after Giulio Regeni disappeared. (AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Rome - Italy is demanding that Egyptian authorities swiftly help determine the truth about the killing of an Italian doctoral student in Cairo, where he was researching Egyptian labour movements and other social issues.

Justice Minister Andrea Orlando spoke passionately about the case on Saturday at a Rome airport where the airliner carrying the body of Giulio Regeni landed after a flight from Cairo. The body was to be transferred to a Rome university for a second autopsy, following one done in Cairo after Regini's body was discovered in a suburb of the Egyptian capital.

Regini, 28, disappeared on January 25, the anniversary of Egypt's 2011 uprising, a day when security forces were on high alert and on the streets in force to prevent any demonstrations or protests. His body, stabbed repeatedly and exhibiting cigarette burns and other signs of torture, was reported found on February 3.

"I am here to show my deep condolences and that of the government, and closeness to the Regini family," Orlando told reporters. "But I am also here to affirm the will of the [Italian] government that truth and complete clarity emerge as soon as possible and that justice be done."

Orlando said Italy was calling on Egyptian authorities to act with determination, transparency and rapidity.

Italy's ambassador in Cairo described how the body looked when he saw it.

"For me to see it [the body] was devastating. It showed evident signs of beating and torture," Ambassador Maurizio Massari told Corriere della Sera daily. "I took note of the wounds, bruises and burn marks. There is no doubt that the young man was heavily beaten and tortured."

In Cairo, prosecutors have said they are waiting for a full report on the Egyptian autopsy.

Italian Foreign Minister Paolo Gentiloni, speaking to reporters on Saturday in Amsterdam, said that Italian investigators were beginning to work with Egyptian authorities on the case. Gentiloni mentioned preliminary arrests, but the deputy head of criminal investigations in Cairo's twin province of Giza, Alaa Azmi, denied on Saturday that anyone had been detained in the case.

Regeni had been writing occasional pieces for an Italian leftist newspaper, Il Manifesto. The papers' editors said Regini had insisted on a pseudonym for the byline on his articles, a strong indication that he had safety concerns during the months he had been living in Cairo while doing research as a candidate for a Cambridge University doctorate.

Read more on:    egypt  |  italy

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.