Bomb squad, FBI respond to scare near World Trade Centre

2017-06-14 09:43
(iStock)

(iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

New York - A carbon monoxide leak in a building three blocks from the World Trade Centre sickened 32 people and raised alarm that shuttered several busy blocks in lower Manhattan at the start of the workday on Tuesday, authorities said.

The problem ultimately was traced to a broken boiler pipe in a grocery store basement, Fire Department Chief of Department James Leonard said. But people started feeling faint around 08:30 just as a worker opened a package in the basement, stirring worries that the parcel might have been poisonous.

The concern brought a police bomb squad and FBI agents to the scene. Authorities ultimately determined the package wasn't hazardous, Leonard said. It contained salad bowls.

"A prudent person could make that connection - that 'the box opened, then we passed out'. But between the fire department and the police department, we ruled out that type of incident," he said.

The grocery store, called Amish Market, and the apartments above in the 12-floor building were evacuated as firefighters measured carbon monoxide levels that maxed out their meters in some places. The meters measure up to 1 000 parts per million, enough to "render you unconscious very, very quickly", Leonard said.

The normal level of carbon monoxide in a house can be from under one to 15 ppm, depending on whether there's a gas stove, according to the US Environmental Protection Agency.

While some people passed out in the store and its basement, all the injuries were relatively minor, Leonard said.

Streets were cordoned off and emergency vehicles massed for several blocks around the building in the chic TriBeCa neighbourhood. Small crowds clumped at police lines, tourists snapped photos and workers and residents tried to find out how to get where they were going.

The fire department's preliminary reports described the emergency as a basement fire, but officials later clarified that it was a leak.

Read more on:    us

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
 

Perfect dog-walking 1: Why dogs pull on the lead

Some dogs go mad the minute they see the leash, drag their owner out the door and once outside start spinning, leaping about and pulling their humans off their feet.

 
 

Paws

SA stats: The role of pets in families
The top 6 poisonous foods for your pet
Does your dog have separation anxiety?
Fascinating facts about dogs
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.