Canada terror suspect dead after police operation

2016-08-11 07:50
iStock

iStock

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Toronto - A suspect was dead after Canada's national police force thwarted what an official said was a suicide bomb plot.

A senior police official said late Wednesday the suspect allegedly planned to use a bomb to carry out a suicide bombing mission in a public area but was killed in a police operation.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to speak about details ahead of a Thursday news conference, identified the suspect as Aaron Driver.

Driver, originally from Winnipeg, Manitoba, and in his mid-20s, was under a court order from earlier this year to not associate with any terrorist organisation, including the Islamic State group and the Levant.

In February, Driver's lawyer and the prosecutor agreed to a peace bond stating there are "reasonable grounds to fear that he may participate, contribute directly or indirectly in the activity of a terrorist group."

A police operation continued well into Wednesday night in the southern Ontario town of Strathroy, about 225 km southwest of Toronto.

In Strathroy, resident Irene Lee said late on Wednesday that police had been camped out near her parents' convenience store since about 16:15.

At about that time, she said she was at her home close by when she heard a loud noise. She said shortly afterward, a police officer came by to tell residents to stay inside their homes.

Lee said there were up to 25 marked and unmarked cruisers outside a home on a street right behind her parents' store.

Protecting the public

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police earlier said it halted a possible attack after receiving credible information of a potential terrorist threat.

They said a suspect was identified and the "proper course of action has been taken" to ensure there was no danger to public safety.

Canadian Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale said he had spoken to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau about the events "to confirm that public safety has been and continues to be properly protected."

"The RCMP, the Canadian Security Intelligence Service and other police and security agencies were involved in the operations, he added.

"These agencies conducted themselves effectively in the circumstances that developed today," Goodale said in statement.

Taking all relevant information into account, the national terrorism threat level for Canada remains at "medium" where it has stood since the fall of 2014, Goodale said.

Read more on:    canada  |  security

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.