Children among dead as fresh air strikes hit Yemen

2017-08-25 14:37
A Yemeni boy reacts as he sits on the debris of a house hit in an air strike in the residential southern Faj Attan district of the capital, Sanaa/ (AFP)

A Yemeni boy reacts as he sits on the debris of a house hit in an air strike in the residential southern Faj Attan district of the capital, Sanaa/ (AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Children were among at least 14 people killed in an air strike in a residential neighbourhood of Yemen's capital, Sanaa, witnesses and medics said.

The attack destroyed two buildings on Friday in the southern district of Faj Attan, leaving people buried under debris, they said.

Mohammed Ahmad, who lived in one of the buildings, said he was among residents who had taken nine bodies to a hospital.

"We extracted them one by one from under the rubble," he said. "Some of them were children from a single family."

READ MORE: Saudi Arabia's war in Yemen 'a strategic failure'

"When the rocket hit, one of the buildings was immediately destroyed which caused the building next door to collapse too. Some residents got out, but others were trapped."

The death toll was feared to rise further as rescuers pull more victims from the rubble.

The air strikes, believed to be carried out by the Saudi-led coalition, come amid escalating tensions.

Separate rallies were he

Earlier this week, coalition fighter jets struck a hotel in Arhab, north of Sanaa, killing at least 41 people.

UN humanitarian chief Stephen O'Brien last week described the conflict between the Saudi-backed Yemeni government and the Houthis as a "deplorable, avoidable, completely man-made catastrophe" in a briefing to the UN Security Council.

The number of air raids per month is now three times higher than last year, and monthly reports of armed clashes are up 50%, he said.

The conflict in Yemen has escalated dramatically since March 2015, when Saudi-led forces launched a military operation against rebels.

Since fighting began, more than 10 000 people have been killed, and millions have been driven from their homes.

The country is also facing a health crisis, with close to 2 000 people having died from cholera since April, more than half a million people infected, and another 600 000 expected to contract the infection this year.

Read more on:    yemen

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.