Ex-CIA agent waiting to be extradited to Italy

2016-06-08 17:49
A 2012 file photo of  Sabrina De Sousa. (Nikki Kahn, The Washington Post via AP)

A 2012 file photo of Sabrina De Sousa. (Nikki Kahn, The Washington Post via AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Lisbon – A former CIA agent said on Wednesday she will be extradited to Italy to serve a prison sentence for her part in the US extraordinary renditions programme after Portugal's Constitutional Court rejected her final appeal.

Sabrina de Sousa told The Associated Press she is waiting to be told when she will be taken to Italy, where she was convicted in absentia and has a four-year sentence to serve.

Since her October arrest in Lisbon on a European arrest warrant, De Sousa has lost her extradition fight at a lower Lisbon court and her appeal of that decision to the Portuguese Supreme Court.


De Sousa was among 26 Americans convicted for the 2003 kidnapping in Milan of terror suspect Osama Moustafa Hassan Nasr. She insists she wasn't involved in the abduction.

The Constitutional Court said in a ruling posted on its website late on Tuesday that De Sousa's appeal was rejected.

Under Portuguese legal procedure, the Constitutional Court now sends its decision back to the lower court. That court then informs the police, who set in motion the extradition process in conjunction with Italian authorities.


De Sousa said in an e-mail to the AP that she had "no idea" when she might be sent to Italy.

Her Italian lawyer has previously said he is hopeful of obtaining clemency from Italy's head of state. President Sergio Mattarella has granted clemency to other defendants convicted in the case.

De Sousa said she sent on Wednesday a letter to Pope Francis, through the Vatican's embassy in Lisbon, urging him to speak out against the extraordinary renditions used by the CIA after the September 11, 2001 attacks. The pontiff has already condemned the practice in a 2014 speech.

The rendition programme, under which terror suspects were kidnapped and transferred to centres where they were interrogated and tortured, was part of the anti-terrorism strategy of the US administration following the attacks. President Barack Obama ended the programme years later.

Read more on:    italy  |  portugal

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.