Calais wall not needed if French migrant 'Jungle' goes - mayor

2016-09-09 06:52
Migrants walk along a protection fence preventing access to the "Jungle" migrant camp in Calais (AFP).

Migrants walk along a protection fence preventing access to the "Jungle" migrant camp in Calais (AFP).

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Calais - Calais Mayor Natacha Bouchart said on Thursday there would be no need for Britain to build its promised wall in the northern French city once the squalid 'Jungle' migrant camp there is shut down.

The mayor's comments came a day after the British interior ministry said it would start building the wall in the northern port city, under a deal agreed earlier this year, to stop migrants jumping on trucks heading for Britain.

Bouchart said that such a wall "would no longer be relevant if we dismantle the 'Jungle'. I am against implementing it, as it would contribute to a negative environmental image for the city, with the thousands of tourists and travellers who pass by Calais every day."

The wall, to be funded by the British government under an agreement struck at a summit in March, is to complement a security fence already put up around the port and entrance to the Channel Tunnel.

The current plan is for the 4m high, 1km long barrier to be built on a port approach road starting this month and be completed by the end of this year.

French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve last week vowed to close the so-called Jungle camp in Calais "as quickly as possible" but said it would be done in stages.

The camp of tents and makeshift shelters in Calais is home to some 7 000 migrants but charities say the number might be as high as 10 000 after an influx this summer.

But the Calais mayor said it was "incoherent and incomprehensible" to announce at one moment the closure of the troublesome camp and then decide to build a wall to control the people living there.

The wall plan has also been criticised in Britain, with the Richard Burnett, chief executive of Britain's Road Haulage Association calling the 2.7m-euro scheme "poor use of taxpayers' money".

Read more on:    uk  |  france  |  migrants

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.