French police foil terror attack, arrest 7 - minister

2016-11-21 21:31
French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve. (Dominique Faget, AFP)

French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve. (Dominique Faget, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Paris - Police broke up a terror ring plotting an attack in France after arresting seven suspects in Strasbourg and Marseille over the weekend, Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said onMonday.

The arrests of the alleged plotters from France, Morocco and Afghanistan "enabled us to prevent a long-planned terror attack on our soil", Cazeneuve told a televised news conference.

Investigators are trying to determine whether "the foiled attack was a co-ordinated attack aiming to target several sites simultaneously on our soil".

Police raids were carried out overnight on Saturday in the eastern city of Strasbourg and Marseille in the south following an investigation by security services lasting more than eight months.

"Credible information made these arrests necessary," one security source told AFP earlier who was not authorised to comment on the case and spoke anonymously.

The mayor of Strasbourg, Roland Ries, said the interior ministry had told him the targets were "in the Paris region" and not in his city, which will open a major Christmas market this Friday.

France remains under a state of emergency that gives security forces enhanced powers to mount surveillance and launch raids, a year after attacks by jihadists on Paris that left 130 people dead.

Security and fears about Islamic extremism are key issues in campaigning ahead of France's presidential elections due in April and May next year.

"The threat of terrorism has never been so high on our soil," Cazeneuve said on Monday. "Zero risk cannot be guaranteed and anyone promising this is lying to the French people."

He linked the latest suspects, aged from 29 to 37, to alleged extremists who were arrested shortly before the Euro 2016 football championship hosted by France in June and July.

Only one of the detainees was known to security forces, a Moroccan who had been flagged by a "partner country", Cazeneuve said.

Some members of the network are thought to have spent time in Syria, a security source told AFP.

The interior minister said 418 people had been arrested for suspected links to terror networks since the start of the year.


Read more on:    isis  |  france  |  security

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/Sport

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.