German 'house of horrors' couple tortured, killed 2 women

2016-05-03 18:24
German police officers in protective suits walk past the house outside Hoexter, where the murders are said to have taken place. (Marcel Kusch, dpa via AP)

German police officers in protective suits walk past the house outside Hoexter, where the murders are said to have taken place. (Marcel Kusch, dpa via AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Berlin - A German couple lured women to their village home with personal contact ads, then trapped, tortured and killed at least two of them, authorities said on Tuesday.

Police said they were not ruling out more deaths from what one newspaper dubbed the "house of horrors", where one woman's body was cut up and burnt in the fireplace.

The 46-year-old man, identified by Bild daily as Wilfried W, and his ex-wife, Angelika B, 47, were arrested last week, accused of tormenting a woman through almost two months of captivity.

The couple was caught after their car broke down with the badly injured 41-year-old woman inside. She died hours later in hospital from a head injury.

On Tuesday prosecutors and police said the female suspect had admitted to at least one more killing by the couple, and to trapping several more women over the years.

The second victim was a 33-year-old woman, whose body the couple had stored in a deep-freezer, then cut into pieces and incinerated in their fireplace.

The woman had died on August 1 2014 as a result of "severe physical abuse", in the village house in the western town of Hoexter, said chief prosecutor Ralf Meyer.

Meyer stressed that investigators could not rule out that more people were killed, although police at this stage had no evidence of further deaths.

"We are looking for more victims" who survived, said Ralf Oestermann, chief of the homicide division in the nearby city of Bielefeld.

He also told a press conference that the male suspect had denied all charges of abuse and torture and had placed all the blame on his ex-wife.

Meyer said police had no evidence of sexual abuse in the case.

The couple married in 1999 and filed for divorce in 2013, the same year the man married the 33-year-old woman who later died, police said.

Oestermann said the male suspect had also "massively abused" his co-accused ex-wife.

Read more on:    germany

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.