German minister rejects blanket suspicion of refugees after attacks

2016-07-25 16:08
People mourn in front of candles and flowers  near the Olympia shopping mall in Munich, southern Germany, where an 18-year-old German-Iranian student run amok. (AFP)

People mourn in front of candles and flowers near the Olympia shopping mall in Munich, southern Germany, where an 18-year-old German-Iranian student run amok. (AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Berlin - Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere on Monday cautioned Germans against indiscriminately branding all refugees a security threat after a rash of attacks over the last week.

"We must not place refugees under general suspicion despite individual cases that are under investigation," he said in an interview with the Funke media group after a string of assaults in southern Germany, some involving asylum-seekers.

Chancellor Angela Merkel's deputy spokesperson Ulrike Demmer later expressed the government's "shock" after the rash of violence over the last week but also warned against labelling all refugees.

"Most of the terrorists who carried out attacks in recent months in Europe were not refugees," she said.

"This fact corresponds with ongoing investigations indicating that the terror threat (among refugees) is not larger or smaller than in the population at large."

Authorities said a man who set off a bomb late on Sunday near a music festival in the southern town of Ansbach killing himself and wounding a dozen others, was believed to be a 27-year-old Syrian refugee.

He was facing imminent deportation to Bulgaria, where he was first registered as an asylum seeker, an interior ministry spokesman said.

Regional officials had said a jihadist motive was "very likely" but a spokesman for the federal interior ministry said there was as yet "no credible evidence" of a link to Islamic extremism.

Earlier in the day, a Syrian refugee, 21, had killed a 45-year-old Polish woman with a knife in the south-western city of Reutlingen in what police said was likely a "crime of passion".

The two attacks came as Germany was already reeling from a shooting rampage in Munich on Friday by an 18-year-old German-Iranian who killed nine people before turning the gun on himself.

And last Monday, another teenager, wielding an axe and a knife, wounded four passengers on a regional train, before injuring a passer-by as he fled police.

The assailant, who was shot dead by authorities, was registered as an Afghan asylum seeker but may have in fact been Pakistani.

He had no criminal record but authorities believe he may have been "self-radicalised" and inspired by the Islamic State group, which later claimed responsibility for the attack.

Read more on:    germany

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.