Hundreds in Corsica defy ban after protests

2015-12-28 13:32
(Jean-Pierre Belzit, AP)

(Jean-Pierre Belzit, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Ajaccio - Several hundred people have marched in Corsica after two days of violent anti-Arab riots, sidestepping a ban on demonstrations in a flashpoint neighbourhood by taking their protests elsewhere in the island capital Ajaccio.

Two people were detained over the rioting on the French Mediterranean island, which saw demonstrators vandalise a Muslim prayer hall and set fire to books, including copies of the Koran.

Corsica's administrator Christophe Mirmand announced a ban on all protests and gatherings until at least January 4 in the poor Jardins de l'Empereur housing estate, the epicentre of the violence that started on Thursday.

Held in custody

The ban came after hundreds of people had marched for a second straight day through several working-class districts of Ajaccio shouting slogans such as "This is our home!" and "Arabs get out".

Two men in their 20s were held in custody as part of a probe into the unrest.

Dodging the ban, hundreds of people marched through other neighbourhoods of Ajaccio on Sunday.

"We fight against scum, not against Arabs!" chanted the protesters.

"We aren't thugs, we aren't racists," they cried as they marched to the police station and then through several low-income neighbourhoods, before returning to the entrance to the Jardins de l'Empereur estate.

Police forbade the protesters from entering the estate.

The unrest followed a Christmas Eve clash in which two firefighters and a police officer were injured at the estate, home to about 1 700 people, half of them of non-French origin.

Regional official Francois Lalanne said a fire had been deliberately lit in the neighbourhood in a ruse aimed at "ambushing" the emergency services.

A firefighter told French television that "about 20 people armed with iron bars (and) baseball bats" had tried to attack them but were unable to smash through the windows of their truck.

Tourist season

French Prime Minister Manuel Valls wrote on Twitter that the break-in was "an unacceptable desecration", while also condemning the "intolerable attack" on the firefighters.

"This behaviour must stop. It hurts Corsica's image," Mirmand said, describing as "shocking and unacceptable" remarks that could lead to prosecution for hate speech.

The unrest came as France remains jittery following the November 13 jihadist attacks in Paris that left 130 dead.

During regional elections in mid-December Corsica's nationalist party won power for the first time.

The population of France's lush Mediterranean "Isle de Beaute" (Island of Beauty) increases by ten-fold during the peak tourist season.

Read more on:    france

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.