ISIS accused in Syria mustard gas attack as rebels push back regime

2015-11-07 07:32
(iStock)

(iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Beirut - Activists accused the Islamic State (ISIS) group on Friday of being behind a deadly gas attack in northern Syria this past summer, as the global chemical weapons watchdog confirmed it was mustard gas.

Meanwhile, Islamist rebels wrested back a flashpoint town in the central province of Hama, reversing the last of gains the army had made in a month-old offensive.

The Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) on Friday confirmed with "utmost confidence" that mustard gas was used in August in Syria.

A report from OPCW fact-finding teams said an infant was "very likely" killed in the attack on Marea, a town in Aleppo province, on August 21.

OPCW said the mustard gas was used by non-state actors, but activists and a monitoring group said it was clear that IS was behind the attack.

Rami Abdel Rahman, head of the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitoring group, said "ISIS used toxic gases during its attack on Marea in August”.

He said ISIS had likely gotten the gas through Turkey or Iraq.

Journalist Maamun al-Khatib, who was in Marea at the time, said: "We knew it was ISIS because all the shells were being fired east of Marea, and that area is totally under the control of ISIS."

ISIS has attacked Marea for months in an effort to cut off a supply route into the country from Turkey.

For activist Nizar al-Khatib, OPCW's report "comes too late and isn't enough, because it doesn't identify IS as the one responsible for firing the mustard gas."

Rebels reverse regime gains

Doctors Without Borders (MSF), which operated a nearby field clinic, treated four members of a single family for "symptoms of exposure to chemical agents."

The Marea residents told MSF they saw a "yellow gas" when a mortar round hit their house.

An MSF spokesperson said on Friday that the Paris-based group did not have enough evidence to finger ISIS.

The OPCW report also said toxic chemicals, including chlorine, were used in an attack in March in the northwest province of Idlib.

Six people, including three young children, were killed in an apparent chlorine attack in the village of Sarmin in Idlib province on March 17, the Observatory and activists said.

After a chemical attack that killed hundreds in the Eastern Ghouta region east of Damascus in August 2013, Syria agreed to declare and hand over its chemical weapons in a deal overseen by OPCW.

Meanwhile, Islamist fighters including Ahrar al-Sham seized a town in Hama province, rolling back a series of recent gains by the beleaguered armed forces of Damascus.

Ahrar al-Sham and allied rebels overran Atshan and nearby villages in the morning and, despite Russian air support, the army was unable to push them back, the Observatory said.

Russian warplanes had been key to the army's gains in the offensive it launched in Hama on October 7, one of several ground assaults across Syria backed by Moscow.

The government captured Atshan on October 10, but withdrew from it and nearby towns, including Umm al-Haratayn, on Friday.

"Regime forces lost control of the last remaining towns it had seized since the beginning of its ground operations in the northern parts of Hama province," Observatory chief Rami Abdel Rahman said.

TOWS against tanks

The setback comes a day after the army lost the towns of Morek and Tal Skeik to jihadists and other rebels.

The loss of Morek cost the army the last town under its control along the main highway north from Hama to second city Aleppo.

Morek has changed hands several times in Syria's four-year civil war. Government troops last retook it in October 2014.

The army still controls swathes of territory south of the town but is facing a fierce fightback from rebels using US-made TOW anti-tank missiles.

According to the Revolutionary Forces of Syria Media office, which publishes news on opposition military developments, rebel groups across Syria destroyed at least 123 army tanks in October alone using TOW missiles.

More than 250 000 people have died in Syria's conflict, which several rounds of diplomatic pushes have failed to end.

On Friday, Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir held talks in Oman, a traditional mediator on the region, to seek a solution to the war.

And UN envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura will go before the Security Council next week to report on peace efforts after trips to Moscow and Damascus.

Read more on:    isis  |  syria  |  syria conflict

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.