Israel demolishes buildings in southern West Bank

2016-02-02 18:04
Palestinian children search for toys in the remains of their home after it was demolished by Israeli bulldozers. (AFP)

Palestinian children search for toys in the remains of their home after it was demolished by Israeli bulldozers. (AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Jerusalem - Israeli forces demolished more than a dozen buildings in a disputed military zone in the southern West Bank on Tuesday, leaving a number of families homeless, authorities and residents said.

Soldiers destroyed 24 structures in and around the village of Khirbet Jenbah south of Hebron, the Association of Civil Rights in Israel said. Israeli officials said the structures were illegal.

Forces arrived at around 07:00 and carried out the demolitions, leaving 12 families temporarily homeless, Nidal Younes, head of a local village council, told AFP.

"In total it is around 80 people," he said.

Israel has carried out a long campaign to relocate the residents of the area, which was declared a military zone by the Israeli government in the 1970s.

Human rights groups have repeatedly challenged Israel's claim to the land, arguing it is illegal to establish a military zone in occupied territory, Sarit Michaeli from the B'Tselem NGO told AFP.

The families, many of whom are cave dwellers, argue their ancestors have lived on the land since long before Israel occupied the West Bank in 1967.

A statement from COGAT, the Israeli defence ministry unit that administers civilian affairs in the West Bank, confirmed "enforcement measures were taken against illegal structures and solar panels built within a military zone."

A High Court injunction later in the day ordered a halt to all demolitions until at least February 9.

The St Yves organisation which submitted the injunction cited, among other reasons, the fact that a number of the destroyed buildings were paid for by the European Union as justification for suspending the demolitions.

The EU did not immediately confirm the claim.

The residents of the region had been undergoing a process of arbitration with Israeli authorities after a High Court ruling, Michaeli said.

However, talks broke down in recent days.

"This basically means we are back to square one. The government wants to remove them. The residents object," Michaeli said.

COGAT said the negotiations failed as "the building owners showed no willingness to get the situation in order and illegal construction did not stop”.

As such, "measures were taken in accordance with the law," it said.

In total, more than 1 000 people could be affected, Michaeli explained, as there are around 10 other villages that could face similar action.

The villages are represented by a number of different legal teams, so Tuesday's demolitions concerned only one of the claims.

Read more on:    israel

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.