Israel razes home of man allegedly behind settler killing

2015-12-03 10:35
(Thomas Coex, AFP)

(Thomas Coex, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Nablus - Israel on Thursday demolished the West Bank home of a Palestinian accused of masterminding the killing of a Jewish settler couple, the army said.

A spokesperson told AFP that troops in the northern West Bank city of Nablus destroyed the home of Rajeb Aliua early in the morning.

"He oversaw the terror squad which carried out the murder of Naama and Eitam Henkin" she said, adding that Aliua was a member of the militant Hamas movement.

The organisation has not claimed responsibility for killing the Henkins, who were shot in front of their young children as they drove on a West Bank road between the northern settlements of Itamar and Elon Moreh.

A few days later the army and the Shin Bet domestic intelligence service said they had arrested Aliua and other suspects.

The October 1 shooting was followed two days later by a knife and gun attack in Jerusalem, in which a Palestinian said to be an Islamist militant killed two people and wounded two others, including a child.


It marked the beginning of a wave of violence which has so far claimed the lives of more than 120 people, including 103 Palestinians and 17 Israelis.

The army entered Nablus at around 02:00 on Thursday and blew up the second floor apartment several hours later, Palestinian police said.

On Wednesday Israel destroyed the home of a Palestinian who carried out a deadly car-ramming attack last year, sparking clashes in the east Jerusalem neighbourhood where he had lived.

Such demolitions, heavily criticised by rights groups, have regularly resulted in clashes between Israeli security forces and Palestinians.

Israel has stepped up the razing of homes as it seeks to halt a wave of knife, gun and car-ramming attacks that began in October.

The home demolished on Wednesday was the residence of Ibrahim al-Akari, who carried out a car-ramming attack on November 5 2014, killing two people, including a border police officer, police spokesperson Luba Samri said.

The 38-year-old drove his van into a group of police officers before ramming into pedestrians at a tram stop along a road separating east and west Jerusalem.

He then jumped out of his vehicle and attacked bystanders with an iron bar before being shot dead by police.

Israel says demolitions act as a deterrent to potential attackers, while rights groups and Palestinians say it amounts to collective punishment, forcing family members to suffer for acts committed by someone else.

Read more on:    palestine  |  israel  |  security

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.