Italian father killed in front of young kids in Barcelona attack

2017-08-18 16:10
Policemen check the area after towing away the van which ploughed into the crowd, killing at least 13 people and injuring around 100 others on the Rambla in Barcelona. (Josep Lago, AFP)

Policemen check the area after towing away the van which ploughed into the crowd, killing at least 13 people and injuring around 100 others on the Rambla in Barcelona. (Josep Lago, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Video

ISIS claims responsibility for Spain attacks that killed 13

2017-08-18 11:58

A suspect fled the scene of an accident on Thursday afternoon after driving through a crowd of people in a busy Barcelona street.WATCH

Rome – A man who was one of two Italians killed in the Barcelona attack died in front of his wife and two young children, who narrowly escaped harm when a van ploughed into tourists.

The death of Bruno Gulotta, 35, was announced by his employer, computer company Tom's Hardware, on Friday.

The Foreign Ministry said two Italian nationals were among the 13 people killed in Thursday's attack but did not identify them.

"Our friend and colleague Bruno Gulotta was run over and killed by an odious terrorist in the heart of Barcelona," a statement on the company website read.

Paying tribute to the kindness and generosity of their co-worker, Gulotta's colleagues said his violent death had left his wife Martina facing "trials no-one should have to bear".

'Will never know her dad'

"We put ourselves in the shoes of little Alessandro, who is about to start elementary school knowing his and his family's life will never be the same again. And we think of baby Aria ... who will never know her Dad."

Italian media reported that Bruno had been holding five-year-old Alessandro's hand just before he was hit by the van. Martina had one-year-old Aria in a baby carrier and managed to pull her son out of the way.

The family, from Legnano, were on holiday in the Catalan city.

The attack, which has been claimed by the Islamic State (ISIS) group, left more than 100 people of at least 24 nationalities injured, as well as the 13 dead.

The Foreign Ministry said three Italians were among the injured, but did not rule out the toll mounting.

"There are still other people to be identified and the Spanish authorities are working on that at the moment," said Stefano Verracchia, the head of the ministry's crisis unit.

Read more on:    isis  |  spain  |  security

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/Africa
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.