Italian navy to resume recovery of boat full of dead migrants

2016-05-03 21:00
The Levoli Ivory makes its way to resume operations to bring to Sicily a fishing boat that capsized and sank off Libya last year. (Marina Militare, Italian Navy via AP)

The Levoli Ivory makes its way to resume operations to bring to Sicily a fishing boat that capsized and sank off Libya last year. (Marina Militare, Italian Navy via AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Rome - Improved sea conditions are permitting the Italian navy to resume a complex operation to recover a sunken fishing boat with the bodies of hundreds of migrants inside.

Navy vessels are set to head on Wednesday to the site of the April 2015 shipwreck, in which the immense loss of life spurred Europe to step up patrols of the Mediterranean, where Libyan-based smugglers launch overcrowded boats on risky voyages toward Italy's shores.

The boat is located 130km from the Libyan coastline and sank 370m after it capsized just as a cargo ship was coming to the migrants' rescue.

Italian Premier Matteo Renzi has vowed Italy will do everything possible to retrieve the bodies and try to identify them. Navy divers over several months already recovered 169 bodies found near the wreckage.

The navy said on Tuesday a 30m-long barge will be used to bring the wreck to a port in Sicily once it is raised with the help of a specially designed robotic apparatus. Firefighters will then enter the wreck in the port to retrieve the bodies.

Survivors said as many as 800 people were trapped inside.

Forensic experts will examine the corpses, in hopes that a Europe-wide network of information will lead to identification, the navy said.

Not infrequently, families of migrants inform authorities that loved-ones never arrived after setting out in a smugglers' boat.

The bodies will be buried in cemeteries in Sicily.

Italy's coast guard has coordinated the sea rescues of more than 330 000 migrants fleeing poverty or conflicts since the start of 2014.

Thousands have perished, with some corpses found in boats along with survivors. Authorities acknowledge some boats might have sunk without anyone learning of the wreck, leaving an unknown number of dead on the Mediterranean's bottom.

Read more on:    italy  |  libya  |  migrants

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.