Judge, 7 family members killed in Yemen strike

2016-01-26 05:35
A Yemeni man inspects the rubble of a house destroyed by a Saudi-led airstrike in Sana’a. (Hani Mohammed, AP)

A Yemeni man inspects the rubble of a house destroyed by a Saudi-led airstrike in Sana’a. (Hani Mohammed, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Sana'a - A Saudi-led coalition strike killed a senior Yemeni judge and seven members of his family at their home in the rebel-controlled capital Sana'a, a relative said on Monday.

"Judge Yehia Mohammed Rubaid, his son, three women, and three children where killed when a missile hit their home," his nephew Ahmed Mohammed told reporters.

Speaking in front of the debris of the destroyed house in central Sana'a, Mohammed said the attack was carried out overnight by coalition jets, which have been pounding rebels almost daily since March last year.

He said his uncle had presided over a court specialised in "terrorism cases" which tries suspects accused of links to al-Qaeda.

Meanwhile, a Yemeni reporter has died of wounds sustained in an air strike by coalition warplanes on northern Yemen, the Reporters Without Borders group said.

Hashem Homrane, who worked for the Huthis' Almasirah television station, died on Friday from injuries he received in an airstrike the day before on Dhahian in Saada province, the Paris-based group said.


The watchdog known by its French acronym RSF cited local media as saying Homrane was wounded while preparing a report on the damage caused by airstrikes on the town.

"The situation for journalists is becoming extremely worrying in an increasingly hostile environment for freedom of information," said Alexandra el-Khazen, head of RSF's Middle East desk.

"We remind all parties to the conflict that they are responsible for the safety of journalists and that crimes of violence against them must not go unpunished. RSF also calls for the release of all journalists and media workers held by armed groups," she said.

Last week, Al Jazeera correspondent Hamdi al-Bokari, his colleague Abdulaziz al-Sabri and driver Munir al-Subaie went missing in the flashpoint southwestern city of Taez.

Their car was found abandoned in the city centre last Monday.

RSF said earlier that at least five journalists were killed in Yemen last year.

The Iran-backed Huthi rebels have controlled Sana'a since September 2014, when they swept down from their northern highlands unopposed before expanding across other parts of the country.

They have been met by resistance from local pro-government militiamen and loyalist troops backed by coalition weapons and forces which have recaptured several southern provinces.

More than 5 800 people have been killed in Yemen since last March, about half of them civilians, according to the United Nations.

Read more on:    yemen  |  media

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.