Karadzic slams 'monstrous' war crimes guilty verdict

2016-04-06 20:04
Radovan Karadzic  waits for the reading of his verdict. (Robin van Lonkhuijsen, AP)

Radovan Karadzic waits for the reading of his verdict. (Robin van Lonkhuijsen, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

The Hague - Former Bosnian Serbian leader Radovan Karadzic on Wednesday slammed as "monstrous" a guilty verdict handed down by a UN war crimes tribunal in his first court appearance since being sentenced to 40 years in jail.

Addressing a special hearing at the court in The Hague, Karadzic again proclaimed his innocence of all charges, including genocide, arising from the 1990s Balkans wars.

He urged the court to free him to prepare for his appeal against last month's judgement, revealing he had packed his bags ahead of the March 24 verdict at the International Criminal Tribunal for former Yugoslavia expecting to be released.

But UN war crimes judges ruled that Karadzic, the most high-profile figure convicted over the wars that tore Yugoslavia apart, bore criminal responsibility for murder and persecution during the 1992-95 Bosnian conflict.

Judge O-Gon Kwon pronounced Karadzic guilty of genocide for the 1995 Srebrenica massacre and nine other charges including extermination, deportations and hostage-taking in a verdict issued more than two decades after he was first indicted.

"Instead of the only right decision of acquittal and allowing me to leave [for] home, I had already packed in the detention unit... We now have a judgement, it's monstrous, just like the indictment itself is monstrous," Karadzic said.

"For eight years I have participated in the proceedings in an exemplary manner to make sure that I would not contribute to compromising this tribunal in any way whatsoever," Karadzic told a special hearing which he had called to discuss his "mental health" issues.

Almost 8 000 Muslim men and boys were murdered and their bodies dumped in mass graves in July 1995 at Srebrenica in eastern Bosnia, when Bosnian Serb forces brushed aside lightly armed UN Dutch peacekeepers protecting a UN safe area.

The slaughter, judged by two international courts as genocide, was the worst bloodshed on European soil since World War II.

Read more on:    radovan karadzic  |  netherlands

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.