Lord ruled dead 40yrs after nanny murder mystery

2016-02-03 16:25
George Bingham, the only son of missing peer Lord Lucan. (Nick Ansell, AP)

George Bingham, the only son of missing peer Lord Lucan. (Nick Ansell, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

London - A British judge declared the infamous Lord Lucan officially dead on Wednesday, four decades after he disappeared following the murder of the family's nanny in a lurid tale that gripped Britain.

"The court must make the declaration that is sought on this case," Judge Sarah Asplin told a court in London following an application by Lucan's son George Bingham, who officially becomes the 8th Earl of Lucan.

Bingham, 48, launched a High Court bid to obtain a death certificate for his father last year, bringing to an end one chapter in a story still full of unanswered questions that revolves around London high society of the 1970s and its gambling underworld.

"I am very happy with the judgement of the court in this matter. It has been a very long time coming," Bingham told reporters after the hearing.

"I got married this year. I've started a new branch in my career. It was a nice moment to say farewell to a very distant past and to move on at a very personal level," he said.

"Our family has no idea how our own father met his own end. Whether he did so at his own hand or at the hand of others."

"It's a mystery and it may well remain that way forever."

Mystery has shrouded the whereabouts of Richard John Bingham, the 7th Earl of Lucan, since he vanished at the age of 39 after his children's nanny, Sandra Rivett, was bludgeoned to death in 1974 at the London home of Lucan's estranged wife.

An inquest into the murder raised the theory that Lucan may have mistaken the nanny for Lady Lucan, who said she fought with the attacker in the dark after she heard noises in the basement.

The case sparked worldwide interest after his blood-soaked car was found abandoned near the coast, and since then there have been dozens of supposed sightings of him from southern Africa to New Zealand.

Bizarre conspiracy theories abound, with one of Lucan's old gambling friends claiming last week that he committed suicide and was then fed to a tiger in a zoo to avoid leaving proof of death and handing his estate over to estranged wife Veronica.

Public interest in the story has been fed by tales of the playboy lifestyle of Lucan, an inveterate gambler, in London high society at the time and the fact that several of his wealthy friends have kept silent on the story.

Police issued a warrant for his arrest a few days after the murder.

Bingham, who is set to inherit the title of Lord Bingham, Earl of Lucan, began the legal process last October by posting a public notice in a local newspaper. He has said the death certificate would "bring closure".

Life-changing discovery 

He recently married Anne-Sofie Foghsgaard, the daughter of a wealthy Danish industrialist.

But Neil Berriman, the murdered nanny's biological son, told AFP he was "shocked" to hear of Bingham's application. He initially lodged an objection, which he has since withdrawn.

"I thought about objecting straight away," he said. "I think he was selfish saying he wanted closure, but seemed to have forgotten about everybody else.

"Closure for us is when we can actually get closure for Sandra," he added. "To find out whether Lord Lucan did commit the murder or if he got somebody else to do it."

Berriman, who was put up for adoption at birth, only found out he was Rivett's son when his adoptive mother died and left him a brown envelope, which he opened eight years ago.

"It was full of all-sorts of things, birthday cards and cuttings of the Lucan case, which was very bizarre," he told AFP.

"I sat there and it gradually registered. It was horrendous, things haven't been the same since."

Referring to Bingham, the 48-year-old builder told reporters after the ruling: "It is fantastic and I'm very pleased for him."

Read more on:    uk

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/World

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.