Mayors in terror-hit France call off events

2016-08-06 13:39
A make-shift memorial near the scene where a truck mowed down 84 people in Nice, France. (Francois Mori, AP)

A make-shift memorial near the scene where a truck mowed down 84 people in Nice, France. (Francois Mori, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Lille - French authorities have announced the cancellation of two major events over security fears, following last month's Nice truck attack that killed 85 people.

One of Europe's biggest flea markets, in the northern French city of Lille, was cancelled, while the European road cycling championships, which were due to be held in Nice from September 14 to 18, were also called off on Friday.

"We have really tried our best, but there are risks we cannot reduce," Lille Mayor Martine Aubry told a news conference alongside Michel Lalande, the top government official in the region.

Lille's most popular event, held the first weekend of September each year, attracted nearly 2.5 million visitors in 2015.

Cancelling this year's Grande Braderie de Lille was a "painful decision", Aubry said.

Lalande said the decision was necessary because of the "hyper-urban format [of the market] with its streets full of people."

France in 'war situation'

He added: "There comes a time, despite our passions and our convictions, when we have to say stop."

In Nice, meanwhile, Mayor Philippe Pradal told a news conference that the decision to cancel the European road championships had been taken due to the level of policing available.

"Given that it was an event that would have required a large police presence, and that we have not received any guarantees about their deployment, the cycling championships that Nice was due to hold in France's name are cancelled," he said.

The two events are the latest to be called off following the Bastille Day truck attack in Nice on the French Riviera.

Many traditional and cultural festivities have been either downsized or cancelled altogether, with Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian saying the series of jihadist attacks in France put the country in a "war situation".

"Everyone must understand that we are in this situation and that sometimes that entails constraints," he said.

France has been struck by a series of terror attacks over the past 18 months that have left the nation on edge.

Read more on:    france  |  security

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.