Migrant deaths in Mediterranean top 10 000 since 2014

2016-06-08 06:05
A woman who lost her son in the May 25 shipwreck, shows a picture of him during an interview. (Pasquale Claudio Montana Lampo, AP)

A woman who lost her son in the May 25 shipwreck, shows a picture of him during an interview. (Pasquale Claudio Montana Lampo, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Geneva - More than 10 000 people have died attempting the perilous journey across the Mediterranean to Europe since 2014, the United Nations said on Tuesday.

"You've now had since the start of 2014 - when this phenomenon of rising numbers across the Mediterranean happened - 10 000 deaths. That threshold has been crossed just in the last few days," UN refugee agency spokesperson Adrian Edwards told reporters.

UNHCR said the number of Mediterranean deaths had risen sharply in 2016, with 2 814 people dying since the start of the year, following a total of 3 771 in 2015 and 3 500 the year earlier.

That amounts to 10 085 deaths in less than two-and-a-half years.

"This is clearly an appalling number of deaths that have occurred in the Mediterranean, just on Europe's borders just in the past couple of years," Edwards told AFP.

"It's an extremely worrying dynamic," he said, reiterating the agency's call for the world to find "viable alternative and regular means of dealing with these movements".

"They're happening, they're not stopping, they need a solution to prevent further lives being lost," he said.

The International Organisation for Migration meanwhile said the death toll so far this year was already nearly a thousand above the 1 838 deaths registered in the Mediterranean during the first half of 2015.

As of Monday, a total of 206 400 refugees and migrants had arrived in Europe since the start of the year, mainly landing in Greece and Italy, the organisation said.

Following the latest shipwreck off the Greek island of Crete last Friday, the IOM said around 320 people remained missing, presumed drowned.

Rescuers pulled about 340 people to safety, but there has been much uncertainty about how many people had been onboard the ship.

IOM said on Tuesday that based on testimony from several survivors it was convinced there had been either 648 or 650 men, women and children onboard.

The survivors, spokesperson Joel Millman said, "were sure of the number because smugglers counted them twice a day before departure".

He said survivors had provided harrowing accounts, including the story of a man travelling with his wife and three children who entrusted his 3-year-old daughter to another migrant onboard, saying he feared he would not live.

The girl survived, but the rest of her family died.

Read more on:    un  |  unhcr  |  greece  |  migrants

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.