Nice attack: 49 dead still not IDed

2016-07-17 18:29
A photo of Nice mass murderer Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel. (Kapitalis via AP)

A photo of Nice mass murderer Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel. (Kapitalis via AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Nice - French authorities detained two more people on Sunday and released the estranged wife of the slain Nice truck attacker from custody as they tried to determine whether he had been an Islamic extremist or just a very angry man.

The Bastille Day carnage wrought by Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel on the seafront of this southern Mediterranean city claimed the lives of at least 84 people and wounded 202, including many tourists from other countries.

About 85 people remained hospitalised Sunday, and of those, 18 including a child were still in life-threatening condition, Health Minister Marisol Touraine told reporters on a visit to the city.

The Paris prosecutor's office said only 35 bodies have been definitively identified so far, carried out by specialists with a judicial official present. That left 49 bodies still without identification. Touraine also said one of the hospitalised wounded still has not been identified.

A man and a woman were detained on Sunday morning in Nice, according to an official with the Paris prosecutor's office, which oversees national terrorism investigations.

Shortly afterwards, Bouhlel's estranged wife, who was arrested on Friday, was released from custody, according to an official in the Paris prosecutor's office. She is the mother of Bouhlel's three children and was in the process of divorcing him.

In total, six people now remain in custody relating to the truck attack - but officials have provided no details about their identities.


Investigators are hunting for possible accomplices to Bouhlel, a 31-year-old Tunisian who had lived in Nice for years. He was killed by police after ramming his truck through crowds after a holiday fireworks display on Thursday night.

The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for the attack, but it's unclear whether Bouhlel had concrete links to the group. ISIS said he was following their call to target citizens of countries fighting the extremists.

Neighbours described the attacker as volatile, prone to drinking and womanising. His father, in Tunisia, said his son did not pray or fast for Ramadan, the Muslim holy month.

But French authorities believe that something may have changed. Prime Minister Manuel Valls told the Journal du Dimanche newspaper that authorities "now know that the killer radicalised very quickly".

"[ISIS] is encouraging individuals unknown to our services to stage attacks ... that is without a doubt the case in the Nice attack," he said on Sunday.

Nice's famous Promenade des Anglais, the site of the slaughter, has reopened. Memorials for the dead have been set up on the westbound lane of the road where the victims were mowed down by Bouhlel. Some areas are still stained by blood.

Joggers, bikers and sunbathers cruised down the pedestrian walkway along the glistening Mediterranean Sea on Sunday, where well-wishers placed flowers, French flags, stuffed animals and candles for the victims.


The site is also becoming a platform for anger at the attacker. Pained and outraged epitaphs have been written in blue marker on stones placed where police shot him dead.

A woman asked if she could put a yellow potted plant there, unaware of the significance of the spot. A man nearby declared "Never here." An argument ensued, with other passers-by saying that his family deserved respect.

"Are you defending him?" the man said, incredulously.

Many families are angry and frustrated that they couldn't find information about their missing loved ones.

The prosecutor's office says the identification of the 49 bodies is being carried out according to an accelerated procedure established after the November 13 attacks on Paris, using DNA or medical records provided by families.

The prosecutor's office says it is working as quickly as possible, but would not give a time frame for how long the identification process could take.

The families of 12 victims were able to see the bodies of their loves ones on Sunday for the first time - three days after the killings.


Many in France are also angry at police and authorities for not preventing the deadly attack, even though France was under a state of emergency imposed after Islamic State attacks last year in Paris.

Valls defended the government's actions but warned that more lives will be lost to this kind of violence.

"Terrorism will be part of our daily lives for a long time," he said.

A special church service was being held at a Nice cathedral on Sunday in honour of the victims.

Read more on:    isis  |  france

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.