Nice massacre: Attacker took selfie in 19-ton killer truck

2016-07-17 19:28
A hooded French police officer leaves the building where Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel lived. (Luca Bruno, AP)

A hooded French police officer leaves the building where Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel lived. (Luca Bruno, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Nice - The Nice truck attacker staked out the seafront for two days before striking, it emerged Sunday as investigators pieced together details of the ISIS-claimed massacre and questioned possible accomplices.

A source close to the investigation told AFP that Mohamed Lahouaiej-Bouhlel, a 31-year-old Tunisian, sent a text message just before the attack in which he "expresses satisfaction at having obtained a 7.65mm pistol and discusses the supply of other weapons".

He also took a selfie at the wheel of the 19-ton truck in the days before he ploughed it into a crowd of people who had been enjoying a fireworks display on Bastille Day, France's national day, killing 84 and injuring about 300.

Mangled bodies were left strewn across the Riviera city's seafront in the grisly attack by a man described by those who knew him as a loner with a history of violence and depression.

While some relatives and friends described the delivery driver as someone who drank heavily and never attended the local mosque, others questioned by investigators spoke of "a recent shift to radical Islam", said a police source.

But there has been no evidence yet linking him to the Islamic State group, which on Saturday claimed the attack.

An Albanian suspected of providing the driver with the pistol was arrested in Nice on Sunday. Lahouaiej-Bouhlel fired at police who sprayed his rampaging truck with gunfire, eventually killing him.

Two replica assault rifles and a dummy grenade were also found in the truck, which he rented a few days earlier and used for reconnaissance on the seafront on the two consecutive days before the attack.

One of five other people being held over the carnage is a 22-year-old suspected of lending logistical support, said his lawyer Jean-Pascal Padovani.

The lawyer said the pair had only known each other for a few months.

Lahouaiej-Bouhlel's estranged wife, the mother of his three children, was released on Sunday after two days of questioning.

'Radicalised very quickly' 

Despite several brushes with the law for petty crime, Lahouaiej-Bouhlel had never appeared on the radar of intelligence services.

Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said on Saturday he "seemed to have been radicalised very quickly, from what his friends and family" told police.

People who went to the same gym as Lahouaiej-Bouhlel - where he took salsa dancing classes and lifted weights - described him as a vain man who "flirted with anything that moved".

The Islamic State group said one of its "soldiers" carried out the attack in response to its calls to target countries from the US-led coalition engaged in airstrikes against the group.

Cazeneuve described the massacre as a "a new kind of attack".

"We are now confronted with individuals open to ISIS's message to engage in extremely violent actions without necessarily having been trained or having the weapons to carry out a mass [casualty] attack," he said.

Patriots called to volunteer 

France's third major attack in the past 18 months has left the government fending off criticism over security failures and scrambling to reassure citizens about their safety.

Cazeneuve called for volunteers to boost the security forces who were already on high alert under an eight-month-old state of emergency.

"I want to call on all French patriots who wish to do so, to join this operational reserve," said Cazeneuve of a force currently made up of 12 000 volunteers aged between 17 and 30.

The latest attack comes after a French parliamentary inquiry last week criticised numerous failings by the intelligence services following jihadist assaults in January and November last year.

France is a prime target of ISIS, due to its role in fighting the group in Iraq and Syria, its emphasis on secular values, and what the government has admitted is a "social and ethnic apartheid" that alienates its large Muslim community.

Hundreds of French jihadists have gone to fight alongside ISIS in Iraq and Syria.

French Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian noted that ISIS had recently repeated calls for supporters to "directly attack the French, Americans, wherever they are and by whatever means".

"Even when Daesh is not the organiser, Daesh breathes life into the terrorist spirit that we are fighting," he said, using an Arabic name for ISIS.

Read more on:    france

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.