Nightclub victims sue gunman's employer, wife

2017-03-22 22:21
The Pulse nightclub in Orlando. (Gerardo Mora, AFP)

The Pulse nightclub in Orlando. (Gerardo Mora, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Orlando - A personal injury attorney representing some of the families and survivors of the Orlando nightclub massacre filed a lawsuit on Wednesday against the gunman's employer and wife, claiming they were able to stop Omar Mateen before the attack but didn't.

The lawsuit was filed in the federal court in South Florida on behalf of more than four dozen of the survivors and family members of those killed at the Pulse nightclub in June last year.

Firearm licence

A total of 49 people were killed during the worst mass shooting in modern US history at the gay nightclub. Dozens more were injured.

The lawsuit claims wrongful death, negligence and other counts.

Personal injury attorney Antonio Romanucci said Mateen's employer, international security company G4S, knew he was mentally unstable yet allowed him to carry a gun in his job as a security guard. Mateen had a firearm license through his job, said Romanucci.

"Mateen gave out so many warnings that someone should have stopped him", Romanucci said.

While working as a security guard at the St Lucie County Courthouse, Mateen was investigated by the FBI in 2013 after he told co-workers he had connections to terrorists and a mass shooter. He later told his bosses he had made that up to get his co-workers to stop teasing him about being Muslim and the FBI determined he was not a threat.

Romanucci said Mateen's wife, Noor Salman, knew her husband was going to carry out the killings.

Terrorist attacks

Salman currently is in jail awaiting trial. She has pleaded not guilty to federal charges of aiding and abetting and obstruction of justice. Prosecutors have said Salman accompanied her husband when he cased locations for potential terrorist attacks and knew ahead of time that he was planning the attack.

A fund that was established after the massacre has distributed almost $30m to the survivors and family members of victims.


Read more on:    g4s  |  us

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.