Philippine militants free Malaysian hostage - police

2015-11-09 14:44
iStock

iStock

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Manila - Muslim militants in the Philippines have released a Malaysian woman they had been holding for nearly six months, authorities said on Monday.

Thien Nyuk Fun and a Malaysian man were abducted in May from a restaurant in Sabah, with investigators blaming Philippine militant group Abu Sayyaf, an organisation infamous for kidnappings-for-ransom.

Philippine police said restaurant manager Thien, 50, was set free on the remote island of Jolo late on Sunday.

The man captured at the same time was not released.

"I wish to thank all of them (authorities) for working hard to bring Thien home," Sabah Chief Minister Musa Aman said in a statement carried by the official Bernama news agency, confirming her release.

Hefty ransoms

The Filipino police statement gave no other details, including who the abductors were or why Thien was released.

Jolo, an island about 1 000km from Manila, is the Abu Sayyaf's main stronghold. It is about 300km from Sabah.

In the past, the Abu Sayyaf have released hostages only after hefty ransoms were paid.

They have also beheaded captives if their demands were not met.

Thien's freedom followed months of negotiations and coordinated effort by authorities at many levels, Bernama quoted the Sabah official as saying.

Founded in the 1990s with the help of al-Qaeda mastermind Osama Bin Laden, the Abu Sayyaf has been blamed for some of the worst terror attacks in Philippine history, including bombings and kidnappings for ransom.

The group is currently holding two Canadians, a Norwegian and a Filipina seized in the southern Philippines in September, as well as a Dutch bird watcher abducted in the same region in 2012.

Released in batches

They are also widely believed to holding an Italian pizza restaurant owner abducted in October.

The Abu Sayyaf has staged cross-border raids into Malaysia before.

In the most spectacular case, Abu Sayyaf gunmen seized 21 European and Asian tourists from a dive resort on Sipadan island in April 2000.

The hostages were released in batches after a ransom was paid the following year.

A 74-year-old South Korean who was kidnapped by the Abu Sayyaf in January, was found dead earlier this month in Jolo after he apparently succumbed to illness while in the extremists' hands.

Read more on:    philippines  |  malaysia  |  abductions

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.