Alleged gunman caught shouting 'I'm German' on video

2016-07-22 19:51

(Photo by AP)

UPDATE 23:31 - An Islamic newspaper in Germany, Islamische Zeitung, has tweeted that mosques in Munich will stay open overnight for anyone who needs refuge.

UPDATE 22:37 - Local German media is reporting that one gunman may have killed himself as police moved towards him. Munich police have also just said nine people are dead. They're not certain yet if one of the dead is a shooter. A video emerged on social media showing a gunman shouting "I'm German!".

UPDATE 22:30 - Germany's interior minister has cut short his holiday in the United States to go back to Berlin late Friday to meet with security officials after an attack near a McDonald's restaurant in Munich left at least six people dead and others wounded.
Munich police, who called the attack "suspected terrorism", were still hunting for up to three possible shooters armed with rifles. No suspects have been apprehended yet.
Police have urged residents to stay indoors while the manhunt is on.
Police have set up a hotline for people who are missing relatives and are sending out tweets on safety suggestions in four languages —German, English, French, Turkish.

UPDATE 22:11 - US President Barack Obama on Friday pledged support to Germany in the wake of the deadly shooting rampage in Munich, as officials said they were working to determine if any US citizens were affected.

Facebook has also set up a check-in for those worried abut loved ones in the city.

Obama, speaking at a meeting with law enforcement officials, said he had been briefed on the unfolding drama in Germany, where at least six people are believed dead in a shooting at a shopping centre in Munich. - AFP

Meawhile, The Guardian reports that members of Germany's elite GSG9 unit were flown into Munich. The UK news service also reported that the terrorist incident might not be the work of ISIS.

UPDATE 20:53 - Police have asked Munich locals to not post photos of security operations but CNN reports many residents taking to social media offering up their homes for those looking for a safe haven.

UPDATE 20:44 - German public broadcaster BR reports 6 people have been killed at the mall shooting in Munich - AP

UPDATE 20:39 - Munich authorities have declared an emergency using the city's smartphone warning system, German newspaper Die Welt has reported.

UPDATE 20:36 - Police in the city say there may be shootings in several locations. They also said it appears that it does appear to be a terror-related incident.

UPDATE 20:16 - Munich police say they received information from witnesses of three gunmen in the area around the Olympia shopping centre, The Guardian reports.

LATEST at 20:09 - A Munich police spokesperson says there are "several dead and wounded" in a shooting at a mall in the Bavarian capital, and police are still hunting down the suspect or suspects.

Claudia Kuenzel tells The Associated Press that "the shooter or shooters are still on the run" — either in the mall or around the mall.

Public broadcaster Bayrischer Rundfunk reports that the late afternoon attack happened at a McDonald's restaurant at the Olympia-Einkaufszentrum shopping mall in the northern part of Munich.

Armin Fritz, a reporter for public radio B5, says the city's entire public transport system has been shut down as police search for the attacker or attackers.

It's the second attack in Germany in less than a week.

Berlin - Police said they expect there will be multiple people dead in a shooting at a shopping mall in Munich, the German news agency dpa reported on Friday.

The Bavarian Interior Ministry confirmed at least one dead and multiple people hurt at Olympia Einkaufszentrum mall.

Munich police spokesperson Thomas Baumann told dpa the attack started at a fast food restaurant in the mall shortly before 18:00 local time. He said police didn't know whether they were dealing with one or multiple shooters.

Police responded in large numbers to the mall in the northern part of Munich, not far from the city's Olympic Stadium in the Moosach district of the Bavarian capital.

Munich police urged people to avoid public places. "The situation is still unclear," they said on Twitter.

It's the second attack in Germany in less than a week. On Monday, a 17-year-old Afghan wounded four people in an axe-and-knife attack on a regional train near the Bavarian city of Wuerzburg, and another woman outside as he fled.

All survived, although one man from the train remains in life-threatening condition. The attacker was shot and killed by police.

The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the train attack, but authorities have said the teen likely acted alone.

- This is an unfolding situation.

Read more on:    germany  |  security

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.