Powerful blast targets foreign forces in Kabul

2017-05-03 08:36
(Rahmat Gul, AP)

(Rahmat Gul, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Kabull - A powerful blast targeting a convoy of foreign forces near the US embassy in Kabul killed at least eight people and wounded 25 on Wednesday, mainly civilians, officials said, the latest attack in the Afghan capital.

Interior ministry spokesperson Najib Danish confirmed the toll from the attack, which came during the busy morning rush hour, telling AFP: "Unfortunately most of (the victims) are civilians."

"We are still checking the nature of the explosion, but I confirm a convoy of foreign forces was passing by when the explosion happened," he said.

Witnesses and social media images showed the foreign troops were travelling in the armoured personnel carriers that are standard for international forces moving around Kabul.

One security source told AFP the blast came when a white Toyota Corolla exploded as the convoy drove by. It was not immediately clear if it was a car bomb or a suicide attack.

'Fighting season'

No group has yet claimed responsibility for the attack, which came days after the Taliban launched their so-called "spring offensive", in which they vowed to target international troops.

The annual offensive normally marks the start of the "fighting season", though this winter the Taliban continued to battle government forces.

Pentagon chief Jim Mattis, who visited Kabul last month as the US seeks to craft a new strategy in Afghanistan, warned of "another tough year" in the war-torn country for both foreign troops and local forces.

He would not be drawn, however, on recent calls by NATO commander in Afghanistan General John Nicholson for a "few thousand" more troops to break the "stalemate" against the insurgents.

The Afghan conflict is the longest in US history - US-led NATO troops have been at war there since 2001, after the ousting of the Taliban regime for refusing to hand over Osama bin Laden following the 9/11 attacks in the United States.

The US has around 8 400 troops in the country with about another 5 000 from NATO allies.

A recent UN report showed that Kabul province had the highest number of civilian casualties in the first quarter of the year due to attacks in the capital.

The body had called on all groups to "take every measure possible to prevent unnecessary and unacceptable harm to Afghan civilians".

Read more on:    us  |  afghanistan

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/World
 

Makeover saves dog’s life

Lucky Charlie got a complete make-over that helped him get adopted.

 
 

Paws

For the love of Corgis!
Can we communicate with our pets?
8 great natural remedies for your pet
Buying a puppy? Don’t get scammed!
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.