Prosecutors says ISIS ordered Italian resident to attack Rome

2016-04-28 19:16
(iStock)

(iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Milan - Italian police have arrested four suspects in a foreign fighter investigation, including a Moroccan-born man living in Italy who had received Islamic State (ISIS) orders to carry out attacks on Rome during Holy Year, prosecutors said on Thursday.

Milan prosecutor Maurizio Romanelli told reporters that investigators intercepted communications from within ISIS territory ordering attacks in Italy, "with particular attention to the city of Rome" and focusing on the Holy Year pilgrimage now under way.

He said the messages promoting lone-wolf attacks were "very strong, very serious and very efficient", indicating that Islamic State's current policy is to push for attacks in locations where foreign fighters are residing "as the best way of creating terror within Western countries."

While prosecutors gave no indication that attacks were imminent, Romanelli said authorities acted quickly to close the investigation, arresting four people in the northern Lombardy region and issuing arrest warrants for two others believed to be in ISIS territory.

"This is a new profile, because it was not a generic indication, but an indication given to a specific person who was invited to act within the territory of the Italian state," Romanelli said.

He said the death in battle late last year of a foreign fighter with ties to the group within ISIS territory had contributed to the radicalization process.

The fighter had been expelled from both Italy in 2015 and later from Switzerland before traveling to IS territory, where he was killed.

Italian Premier Matteo Renzi praised the anti-extremists operation as "very important”.

Authorities arrested the Moroccan-born man, identified as Abderrahim Moutahrrick, and his wife, Salma Bencharki, who allegedly were planning on traveling from their home in Lecco, north of Milan, to IS territory with their children aged 2 and 4. Romanelli said Moutahrrick had taken Italian citizenship and was an accomplished boxer.

Another Moroccan man who was planning to travel with them, identified as Abderrahmane Khachia, 23, was arrested in the northern city of Varese, prosecutors said. It was the death of his elder brother that prosecutors identified as the radicalising event.

Prosecutors also issued arrest warrants for an Italian-Moroccan couple who left to join ISIS last year with three small children.

Romanelli said that man, identified as Mohamed Koraichi, had become an ISIS fighter and had communicated the orders to carry out attacks in Italy while making arrangements for the other family to join ISIS.

The fourth arrest was of Koraichi's sister, prosecutors said.

 

Read more on:    isis  |  italy

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.