Rodrigo Duterte: I once threw a man from a helicopter

2016-12-29 11:52
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte. (Ted Aljibe, AFP)

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte. (Ted Aljibe, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Manila - Rodrigo Duterte, the president of the Philippines, has threatened corrupt government officials that he would throw them off a flying helicopter, warning he has personally done it before and had no qualms about doing it again.

The former prosecutor and governor said that he once hurled a Chinese man suspected of rape and murder out of a helicopter.

"If you are corrupt, I will fetch you using a helicopter to Manila and I will throw you out. I have done this before, why would I not do it again?" Duterte said in a speech to victims of a typhoon on Tuesday, a clip of which was posted later on a video feed of the president's office.

According to police, more than 5 900 people have been killed since Duterte took office in late June and declared a war on drugs, leading to fears of mass extrajudicial killings and a breakdown in the rule of law.

Duterte's latest threat comes just a few weeks after he admitted killing people during his 22 years as mayor of Davao city, sometimes riding a motorcycle looking for "encounters to kill".

He said those killings were part of legitimate police operations, including a hostage incident. Some senators have warned Duterte he risks impeachment over his comments.

‘They were lucky’

Duterte also said six people arrested last week during a seizure of more than half a ton of methamphetamine, known locally as "shabu", in the capital were fortunate he was out of town.

"They were lucky I was not in Manila at that time. If I had known there were that much shabu inside a house, I would definitely have killed you," he said.

"Let's not make any drama, I will personally gun you down if nobody else will do it."

It was not immediately clear when or where the helicopter incident Duterte spoke of took place. His spokesperson, Ernesto Abella, suggested it may not have actually happened.

"Let's just say, 'urban legend'," Abella told reporters, without elaborating.

Duterte has various times claimed he killed people.

In an interview with Rappler in late 2015, before he took over the presidency, he said that he recently killed three people. 

During the same period, responding to reports that "he killed 700 people," he said: "They underestimate the figures ... [I killed] around 1 700."

The UN's top human rights envoy has called for an investigation into Duterte's claims of killing people, to which Duterte last week responded by calling him "stupid", an "idiot" and a "son of a bitch" who should go back to school.

Read more on:    rodrigo duterte  |  philippines

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.