Russia steps up probe into attack claimed by ISIS

2017-08-20 13:47
(File, AFP)

(File, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Moscow – Russia said on Sunday that a stabbing which injured seven people and was claimed by the Islamic State (ISIS) group is being probed by top investigators in Moscow, as new details emerged.

ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack in the remote city of Surgut along with the attacks in Spain that killed 14 through its Amaq propaganda agency, calling the attacker "a soldier of the Islamic State".

A black-clad attacker in a balaclava ranged through central streets of the city around 2 100km northeast of Moscow on Saturday morning, stabbing people apparently at random before being shot by police.

Russia, which initially said the theory of terrorism was "not the main one" being considered, has opened a criminal probe into attempted murder and has not reacted officially to the ISIS claim.

The Investigative Committee, which probes major crimes, said in a statement on Sunday that "due to the wide public reaction", its chief Alexander Bastrykin has put the case directly under control of its central apparatus in Moscow.

Investigators said they had carried out searches of the attacker's home and were establishing the circumstances and the "motive for the attacker's actions".

'Possible psychiatric disorders'

The attacker was born in 1998, the Investigative Committee said, while previously it had said he was born in 1994.

Unconfirmed media reports on Saturday had described the attacker as a 19-year-old whose father originates from Dagestan in Russia's mainly-Muslim North Caucasus region.

Video posted by Izvestia newspaper on its website on Sunday showed the attacker, a slim young man, lying on the ground dressed all in black with a red object taped round his waist.

NTV television aired witness video of a policeman chasing the attacker through streets and firing apparently at his head, after which the attacker falls to the ground.

Earlier investigators said that they were looking into the attacker's "possible psychiatric disorders".

One of the stabbing victims remained in a serious condition while the others were stable, investigators said.

Late on Saturday, the governor of the region Natalya Komarova visited the wounded in hospital. She said one victim was fighting for his life.

Read more on:    russia  |  stabbings  |  security

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.