S Korea begins operation to lift sunken ferry

2016-06-12 22:49
The giant crane that will lift up the sunken Sewol ferry. (Yonhap, AFP)

The giant crane that will lift up the sunken Sewol ferry. (Yonhap, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Seoul - A salvage firm on Sunday began a difficult and costly operation to raise a sunken South Korean ferry which capsized at sea more than two years ago in a disaster that shocked and enraged the country.

The Sewol was carrying 476 people when it sank off the southwestern island of Jindo in April 2014, with the loss of 304 lives - most of them schoolchildren.

Bringing the ferry to the surface has been a key demand of some victims' families, who hope nine bodies still unaccounted for may yet be recovered.

The Seoul government last year announced plans to salvage the 6 825-ton ship and selected a Chinese consortium led by state-run Shanghai Salvage to spearhead the $72m project.

"The operation began at 14:00," Jung Seong-Wook, a bereaved family member who acts as a families' representative for the salvage project, told AFP.

Jung was one of dozens of family members watching the work anxiously from fishing boats in foggy weather.

Preparatory work was completed early in the morning, with the salvage firm's main crane positioned near the bow and several cables attached to the ferry.

The lifting of the bow section - which will be conducted over the next two days - is seen as the most challenging part of the operation.

"This operation takes up about 70% of the overall salvage project," Jung said.

Once the bow is lifted, work to place 18 lifting beams beneath the ferry will begin.

If the lifting operation goes announced smoothly, the Sewol may be brought to the surface by late July.

The Sewol lies more than 40m beneath the surface, and officials say lifting the 145m-long vessel from the seabed without causing it to break up will be the main challenge.

A naval architect involved in the project put the success rate at 80% at a press briefing in April, saying lifting a wreck in one piece from such a depth had never been done before.

The disaster was mainly due to human error - an illegal redesign of the ship, an overloaded cargo bay, inexperienced crew and a questionable relationship between the ship operators and state regulators.

Captain Lee Jun-Seok was sentenced to life in prison for "murder through wilful negligence" and sentences ranging from two to 12 years were passed on 14 other crew members.

Read more on:    south korea

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.