Saudi-led raids on Yemen prison kill 38

2016-10-30 11:54
Destruction following a reported airstrike (AFP, file).

Destruction following a reported airstrike (AFP, file).

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Aden - At least 38 people were killed in Saudi-led air strikes on rebel-held security buildings in Yemen's west, including a detention centre, an official said on Sunday.

The provincial official told AFP the bodies of 38 people were transported to hospitals in the port city of Hodeidah, which the Shi’ite Houthi rebels and their allies have held since late 2014.

The official, speaking on condition of anonymity, did not specify the number of prisoners who died in Saturday's raids.

Most of the more than 40 inmates at the facility were opponents of the Iran-backed Houthi rebels, according to a military source close to the insurgents.

Previously, medical and military sources had said the number of inmates and insurgents killed in the air raids on the buildings in Zaidia, north of Hodeidah, was more than 30.

Deadly battles

READ: Fighting rages in Yemen despite truce

Elsewhere on Saturday, strikes on residential buildings killed 17 people and wounded seven in the battleground town of Salo, southeast of Yemen's third city Taez, said rebel-controlled media.

The sabanews.net website said four raids had completely destroyed three residential buildings.

The Saudi-led coalition has yet to comment on the report, but a local official loyal to Yemen's internationally recognised government said its air strikes had hit three adjacent homes by mistake.

"All those in the houses were killed," he said, adding a child and seven women were among the dead.

Forces loyal to President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi's government have been locked in deadly battles with Iran-backed Shi’ite Houthi rebels who overran the capital Sanaa in 2014.

The conflict escalated in March 2015 when Saudi Arabia launched a military campaign to push back the rebels.

The conflict has killed nearly 7 000 people, mostly civilians, according to the UN which had been struggling to convince the warring parties to implement a ceasefire and revive a stalled political process.

Read more on:    yemen  |  security

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.