Saudi-led Yemen market strike killed 33 rebels

2016-03-16 20:10
A fighter loyal to Yemen's President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi holds a Rocket Propelled Grenade as he guards a position in Shabwa, east of the Red Sea port of Aden.  (Saleh al-Obeidi, AFP)

A fighter loyal to Yemen's President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi holds a Rocket Propelled Grenade as he guards a position in Shabwa, east of the Red Sea port of Aden. (Saleh al-Obeidi, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Aden - A Yemeni tribal chief said on Wednesday that 33 of the 41 people killed in a Saudi-led air strike on a market in a northern province were rebel fighters, not civilians as first reported.

Medics and tribal sources said that the Tuesday strike in the rebel-held Hajja province killed 41 people and wounded 35.

A health official in Hajja said the dead were civilians.

But on Wednesday a tribal chief close to Yemen's Iran-backed Huthi rebels said that 33 of those were "fighters".

"The fighters were riding in three vehicles at a military camp that was hit by three air raids," the chief told AFP on condition of anonymity.

He added that Saudi-led aircraft then hit the market when the Huthis arrived there.

In Riyadh, Brigadier General Ahmed al-Assiri, spokesperson for the Saudi-led coalition, said it was "a militia gathering."

In an interview with AFP, he gave no other details of the incident but said the area is a place for buying and selling qat, a mild narcotic that is chewed throughout Yemen.

An official at a hospital run by Doctors Without Borders (MSF) said on Tuesday the facility had received the bodies of 41 people killed in the raids.

But the charity disputed the claim on Wednesday.

Confusion

"MSF's hospital in the region received 44 people wounded in the incident, two of whom died," the group's Yemen project co-ordinator Juan Prieto said.

The rebel-run sabanews.net website said on Tuesday that the coalition carried out two raids targeting the market and a restaurant in the area and gave a toll of 65 civilians dead and 55 wounded.

The coalition launched its campaign against Iran-backed rebels in support of the Yemen's internationally recognised government on March 26 last year.

Rights groups have repeatedly urged the coalition to avoid causing civilian casualties.

A Red Cross spokesperson told AFP there was "confusion" over Tuesday's market strike in the town of Mustabaa.

"It's difficult to obtain precise information," said Rima Kamal.

The World Health Organisation says more than 6 200 people have been killed in the conflict since March 2015 and the United Nations has warned of a "human catastrophe unfolding in Yemen".

Read more on:    msf  |  who  |  yemen

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.