Saudi tries 14 over deadly Mecca crane collapse

2016-08-11 16:25
In Peshawar, Pakistan, a man who lost his brother in the hajj tragedy is comforted. (Mohammad Sajjad, AP)

In Peshawar, Pakistan, a man who lost his brother in the hajj tragedy is comforted. (Mohammad Sajjad, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Dubai - Fourteen people have gone on trial in Saudi Arabia over a crane collapse in Mecca that killed 111 pilgrims and injured hundreds more just days before the start of the annual hajj pilgrimage last year, local media reported on Thursday.

State-linked newspapers said six Saudis, including a billionaire, as well as two Pakistanis, a Canadian, a Jordanian, a Palestinian, an Egyptian, an Emirati and a Filipino are on trial. The defendants' names were not made public.

The Okaz newspaper says the defendants are accused of negligence, damaging public property and ignoring safety guidelines. It appears all are employees of the Saudi Binladin Group, the construction giant that was operating the crane.

Amid unusually strong winds, the 1 350-ton crane collapsed onto the Grand Mosque that houses Islam's holiest site, the cube-shaped Kaaba, bringing down slabs of concrete on worshippers below. The tragedy on September 11 was the first of two major incidents to mar last year's hajj. A stampede and crush of pilgrims killed more than 2 400 people on September 24, according to an Associated Press count.

The Saudi Gazette reported that 170 employees of the Binladin Group had been questioned by investigators ahead of the court proceedings. Okaz said prosecutors decided not to file charges against 42 others who were under investigation, including 16 members of the Binladin family.

Dozens of cranes surround Mecca's Grand Mosque, part of a massive construction effort headed by the Binladin Group. The Binladin family has been close to Saudi Arabia's ruling family for decades and runs major building projects. al-Qaeda's late leader Osama bin Laden was a renegade son disowned by the family in the 1990s.

After the incident, King Salman partly blamed the construction giant, saying the crane's arm should not have been left up when it was not in use.

The king ordered 1 million riyals ($267 000) to be paid to the relatives of those killed, and the same amount to those permanently injured. Those with lesser injuries were to receive half that amount.

However, Nigerian and Pakistani officials say Saudi Arabia has yet to pay the promised compensation. Six Nigerians and 11 Pakistanis were among those killed in the crane collapse, according to Nigeria's Hajj Commission and Pakistan's Religious Affairs Ministry.

Read more on:    saudi arabia  |  hajj stampede

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.