Second medical facility hit by strike in Syria

2016-04-29 16:03


Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Aleppo – An air strike hit a clinic in a rebel-held district of Aleppo on Friday, the civil defence said, the second time this week a medical facility in Syria's second city has been hit.

The strike on the Al-Marja neighbourhood wounded several people, including at least one nurse, the civil defence, known as the White Helmets, said. Local sources said that at least five people had been killed.

The clinic had been providing dental services and treatment for chronic illnesses for about five years.

Al Jazeera's Andrew Simmons, reporting from the Syria-Turkey border, said that it had been effectively destroyed in the strike, 

"This is a medical centre that deals with chronic illnesses and dental surgery," he said. "But it is being used, obviously every facility possible is being used, for medical treatment in Aleppo right now." The attack came after the Syrian army said in a statement that a "regime of calm" would be enforced in parts of Latakia and Damascus regions from 01:00 local time (22:00 GMT) on April 30. 

It will last for 24 hours in the Eastern Ghouta region east of Damascus and in Damascus, and for 72 hours in areas of the northern Latakia countryside, the statement from the Syrian Army General Command said.

It did not mention Aleppo.

'Violence is soaring'

Earlier this week, 30 people were killed – including two doctors – when air strikes hit the Al-Quds hospital and a nearby block of flats in the rebel-held Sukkari neighbourhood.  

The attack on the hospital, which is supported by Doctors Without Borders (MSF), has been roundly condemned by world leaders, including US Secretary of State John Kerry who said it appeared to be a "deliberate strike."

More than 200 civilians have been killed in Aleppo over the past week as rebels have pounded government-held neighbourhoods with rocket and artillery fire and the government has hit rebel areas with air raids.

On Friday, air strikes on rebel-held districts killed two civilians, one of them a child, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.

In Geneva, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights said the latest reports of civilian deaths in Syria revealed a "monstrous disregard for civilian lives by all parties to the conflict."

In a statement released on Friday, Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein urged all sides to step back from a return to an all-out war.

The UN official said "the violence is soaring back to the levels we saw prior to the cessation of hostilities" in late February. He added that targeting medical facilities and markets could "amount to war crimes."

Read more on:    syria

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.