Seven injured in second Spain car rampage

2017-08-18 05:23
Spanish policemen stand guard in a cordoned off area after a van ploughed into the crowd, killing 13 persons and injuring over 50 on the Rambla in Barcelona on August 17, 2017. (AFP)

Spanish policemen stand guard in a cordoned off area after a van ploughed into the crowd, killing 13 persons and injuring over 50 on the Rambla in Barcelona on August 17, 2017. (AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cambrils - Seven people were hurt when "alleged terrorists" drove into pedestrians in the Spanish seaside resort of Cambrils early on Friday before being shot dead by security forces, just hours after a similar attack in nearby Barcelona.

The Audi A3 car rammed into people on the seaside promenade of the tourist city 120km south of Barcelona, where a van had earlier sped into a street packed full of tourists, killing 13 people and injuring around 100 others.

One of the injured in Cambrils is in critical condition, emergency services said.

The five attackers in the car were shot dead, police added. Some of them wore what looked like explosive belts.

"The alleged terrorists were in an Audi A3 and apparently knocked down several people before coming across a police patrol and a shoot-out ensued," said a spokesman for the regional government of Catalonia, where Cambrils is located in Spain's northeast.

Markel Artabe, a 20-year-old restaurant worker, said he was on the seaside promenade when he heard what he initially thought were fireworks, but soon realised were gunshots.

He said he saw someone lying on the ground "with a gunshot in the head". The victim's friends were crying out "help", he added.

Joan Marc Serra Salinas, a 21-year-old waiter, said he heard many gunshots.

"And shouting. And more shouting. I jumped onto the beach and didn't move," he said.

Police said they were "working on the hypothesis that the terrorists shot dead in Cambrils could be linked to what happened in Barcelona".

The driver of the van in the Barcelona attack managed to escape and is still on the run.

Two other suspects, a Spaniard and a Moroccan, have been detained.

In a further twist, the Spaniard was arrested in Alcanar, about 200km south of Barcelona at the scene of an explosion in a house late on Wednesday that left one person dead and seven wounded and is believed to be linked to Thursday's assault.

"We suspect that they (the occupants) were preparing an explosive device," Josep Lluis Trapero of the regional Catalonia police told reporters.

Read more on:    spain

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.