Survivor pulled from mud three days after China landslide

2015-12-23 12:20
(Andy Wong, AP)

(Andy Wong, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Beijing - A man was pulled alive from the mud 67 hours after being buried in a landslide in southern China, state media reported on Wednesday, as officials detained an executive linked to the accident.

The 19-year-old man, the first to be rescued in days of searching since the landslide hit in Shenzhen on Sunday, was taken straight to hospital, according to Xinhua news agency.

The agency showed images of him being lifted onto a stretcher by rescue workers.

He was given oxygen and an intravenous drip while rescuers removed the rubble around him by hand, a firefighting official told Xinhua. The man was said to be in stable condition.

A dead victim was also recovered on Wednesday from the debris next to the man who survived. It was the second body removed from the rubble since the landslide occurred late on Sunday morning.

The survivor Tian Zeming was on a list of 73 missing people released by authorities on Tuesday.

Tian's ankle was crushed in the rubble and hospital surgeons were operating to try to save his foot, Xinhua said.

More than 4 000 rescue workers were using radar to help them dig at 16 locations before the official 72-hour survival window expired midday on Wednesday.

Among the 75 people still listed as missing, 50 are men and 25 are women, Shenzhen Vice Mayor Liu Qingsheng said on Tuesday.

The number of missing was initially reported as 91.

Profiting off safety breaches?

Some relatives questioned why work appeared to be halted for around five hours from late Monday to early Tuesday during a "golden" window, the South China Morning Post reported.

The vice-president of dump site company Shenzhen Yixianglong Investment and Development was detained on Tuesday afternoon, China Radio International reported.

Police stormed the office, confiscating a computer and documents, and took away Yu Shengli whose firm owns, operates and manages the waste dump at a disused quarry in Hongao.

The company might have made 7.5 million yuan from its prolonged use of the site in breach of regulations, state media reports say.

The construction waste dump was approved for one year in February 2014, the state-run Global Times reported, but was reportedly still operating in December this year.

The waste dump at a disused quarry collapsed on Sunday, sending a wave of construction debris and red mud across the industrial park.

The dump in the village of Hongao had been piled 900m high and too steeply, according to the Ministry of Land and Natural Resources.

Read more on:    china  |  landslide

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.