Syrian army extends Damascus ceasefire

2016-05-02 21:35
(File, AP)

(File, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Beirut - Syria's military extended a unilateral ceasefire around Damascus and opposition strongholds in the eastern suburbs of the capital for another 48 hours on Monday, as a humanitarian convoy delivered aid to 12 000 families trapped in a government-besieged area in central Syria.

In Geneva, US Secretary of State John Kerry on Monday said that "several proposals" were being discussed aimed at finding a way to restore at least a partial truce in the war-torn country.

Surrounding villages

The latest partial truce in Syria does not cover Aleppo, the country's largest city and the scene of its worst violence in recent weeks.

Aleppo remains on knife's edge as rebels and government forces trade rockets and bombs across the northern city and its outskirts, according to activist monitoring groups.

Rebels on Monday lobbed rockets into government-held areas in the western part of the city while government helicopters dropped crude and unguided "barrel bombs" on opposition-held areas in the city and surrounding villages, according to the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

Separately, a car bomb detonated in the rebel-held Salhin neighbourhood of Aleppo, appearing to target an Islamic judiciary council. The explosion wounded a lawyer and several other people, according to the local co-ordination committees, an activist network.

The Syrian Civil Defence, also known as the White Helmets, which organises rescue operations in opposition-held areas of Aleppo, said several civilians were killed and wounded, including a judge for the hard-line jihadist faction Ahrar al-Sham.

Still, Aleppo was safer on Monday than it had been in over a week. Fierce violence took the lives of more than 250 civilians over the previous nine days, according to the Observatory, while six died in violence on Sunday.

The government declared its ceasefire on Friday around Damascus, the capital's eastern Ghouta suburbs and the coastal Latakia region, in the wake of two weeks of rising violence that spoiled a previous ceasefire brokered by the US and Russia in late February.

Displaced residents

Meanwhile, relief efforts by the International Committee for the Red Cross continued with a convoy of trucks from the Syrian Arab Crescent delivering food, hygiene items, diapers and school books to the besieged town of Talbiseh, north of the central city of Homs, ICRC spokesperson Pawel Krzysiek said on Monday.

The population of Talbiseh has doubled to 60 000 with the influx of displaced residents from other areas, according to the ICRC.

Pawell says the joint ICRC and SARC team will assess medical, water and sewage infrastructure in Talbiseh and neighbouring villages.

Read more on:    syria

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.