Travel feud cancels 9/11 case hearing at Gitmo

2017-07-08 14:06
(iStock)

(iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Miami - A US military judge on Friday put pretrial hearings in the September 11 terrorism case at Guantanamo Bay on an indefinite hold amid a dispute with officials over the way he travels to the remote courtroom.

Army Colonel James Pohl says that as a judge he must be kept separate from participants in proceedings against the accused 9/11 plotters. For years, that included taking a Coast Guard speedboat across Guantanamo Bay from the airport to the court on the US base in Cuba. Others involved in the case take a ferry.

The commander of the detention centre, Navy Rear Admiral Edward Cashman, abruptly changed base policy on June 23 so that the judge would no longer have access to the boat.

A week later, Pohl ruled the new policy would cause him and his staff to be improperly "commingled" with other participants in the trial by military commission. He issued an order that put further hearings on hold until the issue is resolved.

Prosecutors asked him to reconsider and suggested he could ride in a private van on the ferry. Pohl rejected that argument in the order on Friday.

"In abating the proceedings, the Commission exercised its inherent authority to take steps it deemed necessary to ensure a fair trial," he wrote in a brief ruling before cancelling a five-day pretrial scheduled to start July 17.

Another judge, Air Force Colonel Vance Spath, issued a similar order on Friday putting a hold on the case of a prisoner charged in the 2000 attack on the USS Cole because of the new transportation policy, said Rick Kammen, the lead defence counsel in that case.

It's not clear what prompted Cashman to change the boat policy, but a spokesperson, Navy Commander John Robinson, issued a statement suggesting the judge's use of the vessel was deemed inappropriate.

'Misuse'

"The new policy strengthens oversight and prevents the misuse of transportation resources as well as the perception of their misuse," he said, declining to elaborate.

The result is another delay for a case that has been hobbled by repeated setbacks and delays since the May 2012 arraignment and for years before that by a political battle over whether to try the five defendants in a federal court in the US or by a military commission at Guantanamo.

A trial date has not been set for the men, who include Khalid Shaikh Mohammad, who has portrayed himself as the architect of the 9/11 attack.

Pohl has previously rejected requests by defence lawyers to abate proceedings over issues that have included health concerns about the defendants and what the attorneys have claimed are a series of efforts to undermine their ability to defend men who could get the death penalty if convicted of charges that include murder in violation of the law of war and terrorism.

"The judge's decision to cancel the 9/11 hearings because he doesn't get a personal boat ride is offensive," said Walter Ruiz, a civilian lawyer for Mustafa al-Hawsawi, a Saudi who is accused of conspiring with Mohammad in the 9/11 attack.

Attorney James Connell, who represents defendant Ammar al-Baluchi, said the latest dispute highlights the challenge of trying the complex case at the remote base instead of a civilian court in the US. "The transportation issue is simply the latest in a series of logistical failures at Guantanamo," he said.

The next round of hearings is scheduled to start August 21.

A spokesperson for the prosecutor, Air Force Maj. Ben Sakrisson, said the Defence Department was "exploring available options" to address Pohl's order, but did not provide details of those efforts.

Read more on:    us  |  9/11 attacks

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/World
 

French Bulldog helps kids with facial differences

Lentil Bean is a french bulldog who was born with a severe cleft nose, lip and palate.

 
 

Paws

Weird things dogs do
Makeover saves dog’s life
For the love of Corgis!
Can we communicate with our pets?
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.