Turkey attacks on police, military: 11 dead, 226 hurt

2016-08-18 16:02
Turkish police stand guard as rescue workers and police inspect the scene after a car bomb attack in Elazig. (Ilyasa Akengin, AFP)

Turkish police stand guard as rescue workers and police inspect the scene after a car bomb attack in Elazig. (Ilyasa Akengin, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Ankara - A string of bombings, blamed on Kurdish rebels and targeting Turkey's security forces, killed at least 11 people and wounded 226 others, officials said on Thursday.

Two of the attacks were car bombings that hit police stations in eastern Turkey, while a third - a roadside blast - targeted a military vehicle carrying soldiers in the southeast of the country.

Authorities say the assaults were carried out by the Kurdistan Workers' Party, or PKK, which has launched a campaign of car bombings targeting police stations or roadside bomb attacks security force vehicles. Last week, PKK commander Cemil Bayik threatened increased attacks against police in Turkish cities.

The wave of attacks come as Turkey is focused on a clampdown on suspected followers of a movement led by US-based Muslim cleric Fethullah Gulen, which the government accuses of orchestrating a failed military coup last month, that killed at least 270 people.

The first car bombing hit a police station in the eastern province of Van late on Wednesday, killing a police officer and two civilians. At least 73 other people - 53 civilians and 20 police officers - were wounded, officials said.

Hours later, another car bombing hit police headquarters in the eastern Turkish city of Elazig early on hursday, killing at least three police office officers and wounding 146 other people, officials said. At least 14 of them were in serious condition.

Video footage showed a large plume of smoke rising from the area. Cars were overturned and the windows of the four-storey building and its wings were blown out.

In the southeastern province of Bitlis meanwhile, four soldiers were killed after the rebels detonated a roadside improvised explosive device as an armoured military vehicle was passing by, officials said. Seven other soldiers were wounded in the attack. A government-paid village guard, helping the security forces battle the PKK was also killed in a clash with the rebels in the province, Anadolu reported.

Intent

Prime Minister Binali Yildirim travelled to Elazig to visit the site of the bombing as well as those wounded in the attack.

He told reporters there that both the PKK and the Gulen movement were directed by the same "intelligence" intent on causing Turkey harm, without elaborating.

"The (Gulen movement) has lost its assertiveness and has handed over the duty to the (PKK)," Yildirim said. "The intelligence that directs them is the same. When one's duty ends, the other takes up the duty."

Yildirim vowed to fight the PKK until it is"eliminated".

"No terror organisation will force this nation to cow in submission," Yildirim said.

Fighting between the PKK and Turkey's security forces resumed last year after a fragile peace process collapsed. Since then, more than 600 Turkish security personnel and thousands of PKK militants have been killed, according to state-run Anadolu Agency. Human rights groups say hundreds of civilians have also died in the clashes.

Tens of thousands of people have died in the conflict since the PKK took up arms for autonomy in southeast Turkey in 1984. Turkey and its allies consider the PKK a terrorist organisation.

Amnesty International condemned Thursday's car bombings as "the latest in a series of reckless and brutal attacks".

Those responsible for these crimes show a contempt for the right to life and must be brought to justice," said Andrew Gardner, the rights group's Turkey researcher.

On Thursday, authorities imposed a temporary blackout on media coverage of the bombing in Elazig, citing "public order and national security" concerns.

Turkey frequently imposes such bans following deadly bomb attacks. Thursday's order asked media organizations to refrain from broadcasting and publishing anything that may cause "fear in the public, panic and disorder and which may serve the aims of terrorist organisations".

Read more on:    turkey  |  security

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.