Two more held in Belgium over Paris attacks

2016-01-22 05:34
(Geert van den Wijngaert, AP)

(Geert van den Wijngaert, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Brussels - Two men were detained for questioning in the troubled Brussels neighbourhood of Molenbeek during police raids over the past two days linked to the deadly Paris attacks, prosecutors said on Thursday.

The investigating magistrate later ordered the release of one of them and ordered the other to reappear in court on Friday, the Belgian news agency reported.

"Both were arrested due to their possible ties with different suspects in this case," the federal prosecutor's office said, referring to the November 13 attacks when men armed with automatic weapons and suicide bombs killed 130 people and wounded many more across Paris.

Those detained were identified as Belgian national Zakaria J, who was born in 1986, and Moroccan national Mustafa E, who was born in 1981.

Belga said the former was ordered to reappear before a magistrate on Friday while the latter was released.

Neither weapons nor explosives were found in the raids on Wednesday and Thursday in Molenbeek, the impoverished immigrant neighbourhood where a number of jihadists have stayed over the last two decades.

French President Francois Hollande has said that the Paris attacks were planned in Syria, but prepared and organised in Belgium. The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for the attacks.

Last week the authorities announced that Belgian police have identified three safe houses used by key suspects including presumed ringleader Abdelhamid Abaaoud, a Molenbeek resident who was killed in a French police raid days after the Paris attacks.

The premises include a flat in Charleroi, a town south of the capital Brussels where a major airport is located, a house in the rural village of Auvelais near the French border, and a flat in Brussels.

The Belgian authorities have formally charged 10 people in the case, including a number from Molenbeek.

Four suspects remain at large, including Salah Abdeslam who allegedly drove suicide bombers to the French national stadium outside Paris, as well as Mohamed Abrini, suspected of having helped scout out the attack sites. Both are from Molenbeek.

Read more on:    belgium  |  france  |  paris under attack

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.