Two teenage girls held in France over 'terror plot'

2016-09-25 15:50
An image grab of Rachid Kassim  taken from a propaganda video. (SITE Intelligence Group via AP)

An image grab of Rachid Kassim taken from a propaganda video. (SITE Intelligence Group via AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Paris - Two teenage girls from the French city of Nice are being held on suspicion of planning an attack directed by a notorious Syria-based French jihadist, a source close to the investigation said on Sunday.

The suspects, aged 17 and 19, live in the same area of Nice as Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel, the radicalised Tunisian man who drove the truck that killed 86 people in the city on July 14.

Searches failed to find any weapons at their homes.

The teenagers have told investigators they had been in contact with Rachid Kassim, a French jihadist based in the areas of Syria and Iraq held by the Islamic State group.

"They admitted they had been planning a violent attack under the influence of Rachid Kassim before abandoning their plans," a source in the investigation said.

The 17-year-old, who was not on the intelligence services' radar before, has admitted "hating soldiers", the source said. She was charged on September with associating with terror suspects.

The 19-year-old is known to investigators, having been in contact with another French citizen who recruits ISIS fighters, Omar Diaby. At the age of 17 she had planned to travel to Syria.

Kassim is emerging as a major concern for French anti-terror investigators after he was found to be in contact on messaging app Telegram with numerous people who have either carried out attacks in France or been arrested on suspicion of planning terror strikes.

He has appeared in several Telegram videos made in Syria and Iraq urging attacks in France.

Kassim is believed to have inspired an attack this year in which a senior French policeman and his partner were knifed to death and another in which an elderly priest's throat was cut.

Investigators believe he also directed three women suspected of seeking to blow up a car packed with gas cylinders near Notre Dame cathedral in central Paris this month.

More than 200 people have been killed in attacks in France since 2015, including 130 who died in November's Islamic State attacks in Paris. Prime Minister Manuel Valls has warned the threat of a new atrocity remains at a "maximum" level.

Read more on:    isis  |  france  |  security

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.