UK police make new arrest in concert bombing investigation

2017-05-26 15:17
(Handout / THE NEW YORK TIMES / AFP)

(Handout / THE NEW YORK TIMES / AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Manchester — British police investigating the Manchester Arena bombing made a new arrest on Friday while continuing to search addresses associated with the attacker who killed 22 people.

Seven other men are in custody in connection with Monday's blast, all are being held on suspicion of offences violating the Terrorism Act. Their ages ranged from 18 to 38.

A 16-year-old boy who had been arrested was released without charge, police said.

Britain's security level has been upgraded to "critical" meaning officials believe another attack may be imminent.

Authorities are chasing possible links between the bomber, Salman Abedi, and militants in Manchester, elsewhere in Europe, and in North Africa and the Middle East.

Abedi, a college dropout who had grown up in the Manchester area, was known to security services because of his radical views. He was the son of Libyan parents who migrated to Britain in the early 1990s.

He reportedly was in contact with family members just before the attack.

The name of the man arrested in the early hours on Friday and those of the seven others in custody were not released. No one has yet been charged in the bombing.

Security increase

London police say extra security is being added for major sporting events this weekend including the FA Cup Final at Wembley Stadium.

Chief Superintendent Jon Williams said on Friday extra protection measures and extra officers are being deployed throughout the capital because of the increased terrorist threat level.

He said fans coming to football and rugby matches this weekend should come earlier than usual because of added security screening.
Williams said "covert and discrete tactics" will also be in place to protect the transport network.

He says police want the approach to be "unpredictable" and to make London "as hostile an environment as possible to terrorists".

British police working on the case have resumed intelligence-sharing with US counterparts after a brief halt because of anger over leaks to US media thought by Britain to be coming from US officials.

British officials say that have receive assurances from US authorities that confidential material will be protected.

Campaigning in Britain's general election, set for June 8, is resuming after being suspended because of the bombing late on Monday following an Ariana Grande concert.

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn plans to use a speech on Friday to link Britain's actions overseas to the increased extremist threat at home.


Read more on:    uk  |  manchester bombing

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/Africa
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.